Buried by a Burial club ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buried by a Burial club ??

further to my thread about burials there is also one which says buried by A Burial Club ??? I think ?? can somebody look and tell me what that meant ??? thanks

Savings clubs were often run by churches. You paid in money each week towards items you made need to purchase in the future. My local church c.1895 had a clothing club, coal club, and boot club. Often local middle class would make donations to these clubs.
    I would think this burial club was set up the same.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

thanks for that Phil

Comment

The plot thickens. This one talks of Burial Club Murders.
        The glory and shame of England - Google Books

There's a modern description of them here.
        The joy of finding an old box in the attic filled with postcards, invitations, theater programs, laundry lists, and pay stubs is discovering the stories hidden within them. The paper trails of our lives -- or ephemera -- may hold sentimental value, reminding us of great grandparents. They chronicle social history. They can be valuable as collectibles or antiques. But the greatest pleasure is that these ordinary documents can reconstruct with uncanny immediacy the drama of day-to-day life. The Encyclopedia of Ephemera is the first work of its kind, providing an unparalleled sourcebook with over 400 entries that cover all aspects of everyday documents and artifacts, from bookmarks to birth certificates to lighthouse dues papers. Continuing a tradition that started in the Victorian era, when disposable paper items such as trade cards, die-cuts and greeting cards were accumulated to paste into scrap books, expert Maurice Rickards has compiled an enormous range of paper collectibles from the obscure to the commonplace. His artifacts come from around the world and include such throw-away items as cigarette packs and crate labels as well as the ubiquitous faxes, parking tickets, and phone cards of daily life.As this major new reference shows, simple slips of paper can speak volumes about status, taste, customs, and taboos, revealing the very roots of popular culture.

You may want to explore these other Google Book references
        "burial club" - Google Books
        Last edited by keldon; 13-10-09, 11:15.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

might have a look at them later when I feel a bit more awake thanks have saved them to my favourites

Comment

years ago, poor people were terrified by the thought of not having enough money to pay for a "proper" funeral. It would have been the height of shame to have been buried in a paupers grave without the proper ceremonies. To this end, people paid perhaps a penny each, weekly to a "burial club" to ensure they could afford a decent burial. A bit like an insurance policy really.
            Teresa...

Comment

I suppose that's how the "industrial" life insurance industry developed - Salvation Army and Wesleyan & General being two of the big players.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
              X