Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Research Offers) Poll: Please could everyone participate in this poll.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Research Offers) Poll: Please could everyone participate in this poll.

This is a multi choice poll but please only reply once for each question.

Do you know what the 'Research Offers' forum board is?

and

Do you know where the 'Research Offers' forum board is?

If there is anyone who doesn't know what or where the "Research Offers" forum board is then I would like to try and promote it more, as it may be very useful for your research, but I really need everyone's help please.
    Yes, I know what the 'Research Offers' forum board is.
    50.25%
    No, I don't know what the 'Research Offers' forum board is.
    4.98%
    Yes, I know where the 'Research Offers' forum board is.
    41.79%
    No, I don't know where the 'Research Offers' forum board is.
    2.99%

"Research Offers" is a forum board just like "Research Qs & As".

If you click on the link just below and have a look down the list you will see all the standard forum boards:

Family Tree Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Under section: "Research Advice" on the above link you will see the following forum boards listed:

Research Qs & As

Research Requests

Research Offers (* Here is "Research Offers")

Family Tree Photos

Adoption/Reunion

Just click on the forum board name for whichever forum board you want to go into.

Comment

If anyone has any questions or wants any help then please don't hesitate to ask, we're all here to help.

The more that everyone knows then the more that everyone will benefit.

Comment

I've offered on that board, but had to pick what I wanted to offer eg. cemetery look ups.

I wanted to offer anything around my district but couldn't work out how.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
          I've offered on that board, but had to pick what I wanted to offer eg. cemetery look ups.

I wanted to offer anything around my district but couldn't work out how.
          Hi Libby,

At the moment we have the following thread title prefixes on the "Research Offers" forum board:

Record Office:
          Photographs:
          Probate:
          Cemetery:

Would I be correct in guessing that you wanting to offer any service in your area would cover the above and maybe even more?

If the above is the case then I can see that it might get a little tiresome having to enter a different thread for each type of offer, when they are all in the same area.

Would you or anyone have any ideas for another prefix (length size to be no longer than the current prefixes) that could be put before the team for discussion? Something to cover what you want.

Please bare in mind that "anything" could cover a very wide area, some things of which you may not want to offer your services for.

I guess it may be possible, subject to agreement and feasibility, to have something like "All Services", which could be defined as being all the above prefixes mentioned.

May I suggest that you raise your idea on the The Think Tank forum board for discussion.

Comment

Question: What is the "Research Offers" forum board?

Question:
            What is the Research Offers forum board?

Answer:
            The Research Offers forum board is a place where you can offer your genealogical research/lookup services to other members.

For example if you are willing to visit a place in your local area, or even further afield, that may be of help to another member then you can register your offer of help by starting a thread, for all members to see, on the Research Offers forum board. Other members will then be able to view what you are offering to help with and leave a message on your thread or contact you via PM asking if you can help them.

The current areas where members offer their help are:

Record Office:
            e.g. To offer to visit a record office and do lookups for another member.

Photographs:
            e.g. To offer to take a photo of something for another member. Maybe a member's ancestor's house, memorial, etc.

Probate:
            e.g. To offer to visit a probate office and do lookups for another member.

Cemetery:
            e.g. To offer to visit a cemetery/graveyard for another member and maybe check something or even take a grave photo for another member.

The offer to help someone will always be under the offerers control and can be withdrawn at anytime.

The finer details of what you can help with should be discussed with whoever replies to your offer of help.
            Last edited by Guest; 13-10-09, 12:42.

Comment

I hope that I'm explaining everything clearly but if not or if you have any questions then please do let me know. I really want everyone to make use of all the facilities that FTF has to offer.

If you'd pefer to send me a PM then please feel free to do so.

Comment

If I put one of my one day only offers on for probate lookups next time I'm going could it be locked once I've got as many as I can cope with?

Similarly, should it be deleted once all the requests are fulfilled?

(Dashing back to work now, I'll be back later)

Comment

No problem in having the thread locked once you have received as many requests as you can deal with - just ask one of the admin/mods and they will do it for you.

Really depends on the content as to whether it should be deleted or not Jill. Sometimes just a little bit of information on old threads can help members in the future, which is why we like to leave everything on the forum. Of course, if the thread is locked then nothing further can be added to it so it will just slide down the listing.
                  Elaine

Comment

Nudged this for the evening shift as well.

Comment

Click on the link to see a list of the offers that members are currently willing to help you with:

(Research Offers): Have a look here, someone may be able to help you.

Or go straight to the Research Offers forum board.

Comment

Hi John...

You are correct in that I'm happy to get photos of graves, buildings, etc as well as look up the local papers (we have them in our library) or any history local to that area I gave.

I'm not sure what you could call it..................maybe something like "Specific area help"

Of course the closer to Tenterfield the request is, the quicker it will be, but I'm happy to be asked for anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                          Hi John...

You are correct in that I'm happy to get photos of graves, buildings, etc as well as look up the local papers (we have them in our library) or any history local to that area I gave.

I'm not sure what you could call it..................maybe something like "Specific area help"

Of course the closer to Tenterfield the request is, the quicker it will be, but I'm happy to be asked for anywhere.
                          Hi Libby,

Would you mind putting your idea on the The Think Tank forum board for discussion.

I personally think it is a good idea although a prefix of "Specific area help:" may be too long and would need some thought.

This request needs to be looked at by all the team to see what the possibilities and drawbacks maybe and the The Think Tank forum board is the best place for that.

Comment

If anyone has any questions with regard to "Research Offers" then please don't hesitate to ask.

Comment

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to participate in this poll everyone.

I hope this thread has made it a little clearer, for those not in the know, as to what and where the Research Offers forum board is.

If anyone still has any questions or problems using Research Offers then please ask (via PM if you like).

Comment

Before this thread gets unstickied and falls down the listing I would just like to add something!

It's quite clear from the voting that members know where to find the Research Offers forum but are they aware that this is just a small part of our Research Request/Offer project (no need to start another poll to find out John! :Wink.

Posting your offer of help in the Research Offers forum is not the only option available to you. We also have a listing in the wiki where your name and location can be added - members can then contact you by email if they have a request.

These pages in the wiki can be found by clicking on the following links:

Research Offers: Record Office/Archive
                                Research Offers: Cemetery
                                Research Offers: Photograph
                                Research Offers: Probate

Members can add their own details if they wish, but if you are not sure about editing the wiki then you can leave details in the following thread and Jess or I will add the details on your behalf.

So to all members who have already added threads to the Offers forum a think about having your offer permanently recorded in the wiki - in fact there is no objection if you want to do both, have your offer in the wiki and have a thread running in the Offers forum.
                                Elaine

Comment

I'm going to unsticky this thread tomorrow but if you have any questions please feel free to ask at anytime.

Comment

This thread has now been unstickied but if you have any questions then feel free to ask anytime.

Comment

Working...
                                    X