Catholic records on Scotlandspeople

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catholic records on Scotlandspeople

Don't know if anyone has said that that they've got the Catholic births on Scotlandspeople. Hopefully marriages and deaths will be along soon.

Just found a duplicate ie daughter called Margaret must have died and another a few years later called Margaret. I'd found first birth and second's death so just thought there was a discrepancy - not that they're two different children.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Brilliant!!! Thanks JBee!

Just found my gt grandfather's 1936 birth and baptism so there's a good chance his parents' marriage will be on there too eventually.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post

Just found my gt grandfather's 1936 birth and baptism so there's a good chance his parents' marriage will be on there too eventually.
      All births, marriages and deaths post 1855 are already on Scotland's People regardless of their faith. So the marriage details you want will be there. You will see the names, ages, occupations and residences of both parties; the location of the ceremony; their parents names are given including the father's occupation, the mother's maiden surname and whether or not they were deceased. You also get the names of any witnesses and the name and job title of the person who performed the ceremony.

The Catholic registers may give you extra bits of information for births and marriages. Having never seen a Catholic Register, I don't know what the extras might be but I assume it would be stuff like godparents' names and their relationship to the child and maybe the relationships of witnesses to a bride and groom. They should also give you burial places which is something civil registration certificates don't do.

Comment

I don't have any Scottish Catholic families that I'm aware of. What I can't find anywhere is a whole family of pre-1855 non-Church of Scotland baptisms.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          All births, marriages and deaths post 1855 are already on Scotland's People regardless of their faith.
          Oops! Thanks Galloway Lass..

I was rushing to thank JBee so that I could dive back into the Catholic records and didn't proofread my post. I meant 1836. :emb:

Gt grandfather and his siblings didn't have Catholic marriages but gt gt grandfather was born in Ireland so I was hoping some of the family might show up in the new Catholic records.

Strangely, gt grandfather's baptism is entered, slightly differently, for both Stirling St Mary's and Lennoxstown St Machan's (identical dates so not a "replacement" child of the same name), and St Machan's hadn't even been built by 1836.
          Gillian
          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Working...
          X