Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to search for an address on the Censuses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to search for an address on the Censuses?

Does anyone know...

Is it possible to search the Censuses by Address?

I've tried, - but can't find what I'm looking for:conf:

I'm trying to find 'Allt Y Screch' or 'Allty Screch House' in Llangyfelach Road, Treboeth, Swansea, - but with no success:F

I'm sure that you used to to able to do this on 'Ancestry', - but it doesn't seem possible anymore.

Any advice welcomed!
    Holly.

I think you could do an address search on the official 1901 census site.

havent really used that though, for donkeys years..sorry.

I did find this though via google..whether it helps or not I have no idea but here goes, click on link below

Allt-y-Screch House - Treboeth History Group

this is the link to 1901 census site for an address search

you could also look in the individual census years and then search for the actual places and look at the enumerators books to see where they covered, (its abit long winded, but does work sometimes)

here would be a good start. 1901

Last edited by Darksecretz; 12-10-09, 15:16.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Not directly you can't, no. But if you google the address "+ 1871 census" (or whichever census you want), sometimes you get lucky and someone else researching a family in the same street has put their family tree online with all their sources. You can then look at their source reference and copy that into the Ancestry search.

I did google your Swansea address and found only a post on the rootchat site by user Romilly - but perhaps that's you?!? :smilee:

The other thing you can do is to pick the census year you want, then select the civil parish and then - if there aren't too many - look at the descriptions of each of the enumeration districts to see if you can spot the street you're looking for.

It's a long slow process, but sometimes it pays off.

Good luck!

Sal
      Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Hi Holly

Yes - I can't find an address search on Ancestry any more - how annoying.

However, Find My Past will allow you to do an address search - but of course you'll have to pay.

Ros

Comment

Are you sure it shows up with its name on 1901?

The road shows up in Swansea, but the house name doesn't appear on that road. There are most numbers from 1 to 40, and most numbers from 80 to 110.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Many Thanks for all of the replies.

Yes, all of the Posts mentioned in other places are from me...when I google for 'Allty Screch' I just end up chasing myself round in circles!!

I have found 'Allty Screch' House on the 'Old Maps' site, in about the approximate place, ('Y Plas' is at 690+ Llangyfelach Road) but there was also a cottage called 'Allty Screch', - only that one was much further down Llangyfelach Road, (theres an illustration of it in 'Copperopolis', by Stephen Hughes.

It just seems strange that I can't find it listed on any of the Censuses...:-(
            I have credits on 'Find my Past' & have tried there, but without success.
            Holly.

Comment

Just re-visiting my research on 'Allt Y Screch' House in Llangyfelach Road, Swansea.

On the 1891 Census for Wales, Ref: RG12/4474, Folio 94, Page 34, Schedule 210, John C. Morris, Wife Sarah J. Morris and family are shown at 'Allt Y Screch'. On the 1901 they are at 89 Walter Road, Swansea, but I can't find 'Allt Y Screch'.
              My Grandparents and family lived at Allt Y Screch from 1919 - 1932, - although they re-named it 'Y Plas'.
              I would like to try and ascertain who was there on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses...but perhaps this isn't possible?
              Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post
                Just re-visiting my research on 'Allt Y Screch' House in Llangyfelach Road, Swansea.

On the 1891 Census for Wales, Ref: RG12/4474, Folio 94, Page 34, Schedule 210, John C. Morris, Wife Sarah J. Morris and family are shown at 'Allt Y Screch'. On the 1901 they are at 89 Walter Road, Swansea, but I can't find 'Allt Y Screch'.
                My Grandparents and family lived at Allt Y Screch from 1919 - 1932, - although they re-named it 'Y Plas'.
                I would like to try and ascertain who was there on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses...but perhaps this isn't possible?
                Holly.
                I think the best way would be to ask the local library in Swansea if they have electoral rolls for those years so you could identify if the house was named that, if so the occupiers will be listed sufficient for you to pinpoint them on the census.

Margaret

Comment

Good idea Margaret!

I think that Swansea Library is closed for refurbishment at present, - but worth a try once it re-opens.
                  I wonder if 192.com goes back that far?

Best Wishes, Holly.

Comment

Number 1 Llangyfelach Road appears at the bottom of RG13 piece 5071 folio 165 page 5 and coverage then continues on subsequent pages. Most of the houses are just numbered, a few are named in English - such as Butcher's shop and Bird in Hand pub- what does Allt Y Screch translate as?
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                      Number 1 Llangyfelach Road appears at the bottom of RG13 piece 5071 folio 165 page 5 and coverage then continues on subsequent pages. Most of the houses are just numbered, a few are named in English - such as Butcher's shop and Bird in Hand pub- what does Allt Y Screch translate as?
                      'The Wood where the owls screetch', I believe!

"Allt-y-Screch House – Renamed Y Plas, 1919.

In the latter half of 18th century an area of rough common on the eastern side of Llangyfelach Road became enclosed, and in the first half of the 19th century a large house was built there, and named ‘Allt-y-Screch House’, a corruption of Allt-y-screch [The Screecher Wood]. The name indicates that the trees in the vicinity were probably frequented by owls or jays.

Sometime during the 20th century the name was changed to ‘Y Plas’ [The Mansion]. In the mid 1960s the house became a nursing home for elderly ladies, run by Kenwood Davies and his wife Gwyneth. In 1985 it was handed over to their daughter Helen and her husband, who extended the premises. In 1988 the nursing home was purchased by Wendy Burdon and Ruth Mott and the premises was further adapted." (Rootsweb Entry).

Many thanks for looking. 'Allt Y screch' was about halfway up Llangyfelach Road I believe, - 'The Eagle' Inn was further up the road.

Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post
                        Good idea Margaret!

I think that Swansea Library is closed for refurbishment at present, - but worth a try once it re-opens.
                        I wonder if 192.com goes back that far?

Best Wishes, Holly.
                        192.com and others like don't have much earlier than about 2000 when the registers started to be digitised by the local authorities who compile them so the only place I think is likely to be the library or maybe try the local records office as older books may be held there for safe keeping. I would ask Swansea Council where the registers are as a start point.
                        Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Somerset Sal View Post
                          Not directly you can't, no. But if you google the address "+ 1871 census" (or whichever census you want), sometimes you get lucky and someone else researching a family in the same street has put their family tree online with all their sources. You can then look at their source reference and copy that into the Ancestry search.

I did google your Swansea address and found only a post on the rootchat site by user Romilly - but perhaps that's you?!? :smilee:

The other thing you can do is to pick the census year you want, then select the civil parish and then - if there aren't too many - look at the descriptions of each of the enumeration districts to see if you can spot the street you're looking for.

It's a long slow process, but sometimes it pays off.

Good luck!

Sal
                          Hello Sal,

I agree that it's longwinded...but it worked!

Many thanks, - I have now found the right property, called 'The Plas' on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses.

Best Wishes, Holly.

Comment

Working...
                          X