Could they be the same person?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could they be the same person?

I have a bit of a problem which I hope someone can help me with please.

I have – William Edward Anderson b 29 July 1849 (b/cert) bap 26 Aug 1849, son of William Anderson and Emma Anderson (formerly Payne)/occupation Bootmaker.
    I have him (confirmed) on 1851 (HO107;Piece:1553;Folio:179;Page:20) and 1861 (RG9;Piece:289;Folio:101;Page:48) census only.

A contact on Ancestry has a marriage for a Frederick William Anderson on 29 Oct 1871/age 22/occ Porter with a father William Anderson/occupation Shoemaker. (This is the only time he uses the name Frederick, in later census returns and on the registration of his children he uses William Anderson.

Have been combing through the census and LMA records trying to find a Frederick William Anderson with father William Anderson but with very little success.

What are the chances that they are one and the same person?

Any thoughts on where/how to resolve this greatly appreciated
    Thank you.

I have a similar one where a contact has added Frederick to a name when I asked her where she had got it from she admitted she didnt know ???
    oh and she also has a mans Wife down as his Sister???

Comment

Thank you for your reply Val.
      If only he hadn't signed his name in full on the marriage certificate - that's what really bothering me....
      regards

Comment

have you seen this?

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

aha!! it might be two different families..

- Ancestry.co.uk

they also baptised a daughter Clara on the same day as Freddy boy.. and the fathers middle name was William Burnett Anderson (ships broker I think it said) address Clarke Street. Stepney
          Julie

Comment

well I also have a George William Knight whos son has him down as Father on his marriage cert as George Daniel Knight ???
            They will mess with their names

Comment

Julie
              Yes, I did get quite excited when I saw that one - on the parish register website before Ancestry had the LMA records - but as you say wrong father and occupation.
              rgds

Comment

This kind of thing happens a lot. People give themselves different names for all kinds of reasons. Frederick could have been a "pet" name.

On the birth certificates for his children, is the mother's name the same as the spouse in the marriage cert? In which case, it's the same person surely? Or have I missed something?

Ros

Comment

Ros
                  Thank you for your reply
                  I have my William Edward Anderson confirmed 1849 (b/cert), 1851 and 1861 census - he is a sibling of my direct ancestor and I haven't confirmed him any later than 1861.
                  My contact has followed their line back through d/cert, census returns and registration of children (all in the name of William Anderson - no middle name) to the marriage certificate in 1871 where he gives (and signs) his name as Frederick William Anderson.
                  Val - Maybe I am getting too hung up on this extra name..
                  regards

Comment

- Ancestry.co.uk
                    the marriage is on ancestry in case you dont have it

Comment

I think if it were me, I'd be looking for a will, if he left one I would also be working backwards proving each step as I go with certs and the like.

Do you know for definate that this is one and the same person? did they marry the same lady? is this lady proven to be the mother of his children?

do the witness' name help at all? did William have siblings, have you tracked those? got certificates to see if he witnesssed anything else as Frederick?
                      Julie

Comment

Julie
                        Unfortunately no sign of any wills for this family.

I am sceptical that they are one and the same but I haven't been able to definately identify my William Edward after 1861.

I have got original copies of the marriages, for my William's siblings, where a 'William Anderson' was one of the witnesses.
                        Whilst these signatures do not resemble Frederick William's signature on his 1871 certificate, there are two possible candidates, for the 'William', in my family - father and son....

I am hoping for confirmation from LMA regarding the signature on William senior's marriage in 1848 - the copy is very faint and I can't say for certain whether he uses the capital 'A' or the capital of the lower-case rounded 'a'.

There are way too many William's in this.

I also checked the marriages for the siblings of Frederick William's wife - but no sign of any witness there.

regards

Comment

I have 2 that I believed changed their names, but once they'd made the change, they stuck to it.

I have "Luke" Finch in 41 & 51 census for a small Norfolk village. He married in Yorkshire as James Finch in 1858 and retained the name James, although he kindly used James L in one census. (Both Luke & James were the son of Bartholomew Finch of Horningtoft.)

Gt-aunt Sarah Ann had the same forenames as her mother. I eventually found her marrying as May Sarah. When 1901 census was released, I found her recorded as May. She was born in May and given that as a pet name, to distinguish her from her mother.
                          (My own aunt Sarah Ann had a daughter named Sarah Ann and they were always known as "big Sarah" and "little Sarah" lol)

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                          X