Canadian genealogical research newsletter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian genealogical research newsletter

I’m not sure if anybody would be interested in this latest genealogical newsletter from the Vancouver Public Library. It covers genealogy worldwide but with a special emphasis on BC and Canada, giving details of latest projects and databases available.

These are issued quarterly and older copies can be found on the library’s website.
    Jenny

Thanks for the link - I must go and have a proper look.

In the meantime, I'd be really interested if there were anything like that for Ontario/Toronto. I believe my paternal grandfather was there for about eight years, and I know very little about that part of his life... so far. I'm hoping that the Canadian 1921 census might help when it becomes available, but anything from 1916-1824 would be good.

The Ask a Librarian service did get me one likely reference in the city directory (for which I am very grateful), but that's all so far.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine - This is a handy site Multicultural Canada

Comment

Jenoco & Naomiatt,
        Thanks for those sites, I've just found rellies in Ontario and will need all the help I can get to find what happened to them all.
        Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
          Hi Christine - This is a handy site Multicultural Canada
          Thanks, Naomi. That certainly looks to be a very interesting and useful resource.

On first sight, I'm not sure that it will help me search for my grandfather's traces: he was Congregational or Methodist, and British, and relatively early, so I don't think he qualifies as "multi-cultural". Having said that, I shall certainly bookmark the site for future reference: it's much to good to lose sight of!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine, I'm not sure if the Toronto Public Library has a similar publication - I can't find anything on their website. Because of the privacy laws here, it's difficult to find information on individuals and I'm afraid I don't know anything about Canadian research. You might try the newspaper archives. There are some links here, although I don't know how good they are.
            Quezi Where Can I Find Free Newspaper Archives Online for Canada?
            Jenny

Comment

Thanks very much. There's some promising stuff there.

Now I must hope to remember to bookmark this when I get onto the main computer!

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                Thanks, Naomi. That certainly looks to be a very interesting and useful resource.

On first sight, I'm not sure that it will help me search for my grandfather's traces: he was Congregational or Methodist, and British, and relatively early, so I don't think he qualifies as "multi-cultural". Having said that, I shall certainly bookmark the site for future reference: it's much to good to lose sight of!

Christine
                Hi - I was helping a friend who is from BC to find a gf (traditional C of E) and he was mentioned in an article attending a function ..so you never know ; -) You're right - it is a good site..... There is this site as well
                Archives of OntarioChanging Shape of Ontario: Districts of Northern Ontario - 1910
                and Researching Toronto Genealogy
                which may give you some leads to other resources.
                Canada's not easy sometimes...saying that, I managed to track a burial to an on line cemetery site in BC....there seems to be bits and bobs for different areas doesn't there.

Comment

Working...
                X