Insurance Salesman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance Salesman

How common would it have been to be a salesman for the Prudential in 1800's. One of my families has a daughter who marries a labourer. 10 years later he is working for the Pru and ten years after that he is a superintendent of Agents for the Pru. Then his wifes brother in law becomes an agent and moves to Oxford, and now I've just found what I think is Superintendents son, who was in Oxford (Where Super. never lived) as a photographic assistant, who has turned up in London as... you guessed it, an insurance agent. Is this just coincidence do you think, or a touch of nepotism?

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

A touch of nepotism I think! LOL.
    It's only of recent years the 'fair and open' competition for jobs has been the requirement, before that you often only got a job because you were related or knew someone in that trade/company - think of Fleet Street (printing) where no-one could get employed virtually unless you were 'introduced'.
    Margaret

Comment

And checking through the family, I've just found another brother in law who became an insurance salesman! This one was given the Brighton franchise!

Linda
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
      X