Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a reminder about LMA online parish records

Always check the original image.

I've found mistranscriptions of names, baptism dates really being the birth date and other errors including switching of surnames on a marriage!

Never assume the transcription is correct. Oh, and judging by the number of errors crossed out and amended, and assuming other errors went unnoticed, don't believe what the original says either!!!!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

I have found that St Michaels and All Angels have been transcribed as being in Southfields, Wandsworth when it was actually in Shoreditch.

Comment

At lots of the churches are listed incorrectly. I had one family with children transcribed as being baptised in Kensington, but the church was in Kennington!
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Its not surprising some transcription mistakes are made! Some of the marriage certificates (the originals) are a disgrace. I saw one where all the addresses and father's names/occuaptions had been crossed out and re-entered by the clerk - who had very scruffy writing to boot :F

On the other hand some are a joy to look at - beautifully written and set out - of course the real bonus is the original signatures of the bride and groom and the witnesses.

Anne

Comment

They have southwark area as Middlesex

Comment

I was searching for a marriage for a Mary Lambeth and thought there were quite a few but they turned out to be *at* St Mary Lambeth:-)

I have one family who baptised a few of their children twice and the children mostly had different birth dates which is disappointing.
            Asa

Comment

I've found three burials where the transcription has the ages in the 20s. They are all in their 80s....

Bit hard to see, but well worth checking the originals.

Comment

I cannot find an index entry for Samuel William Dawson baptised in 1832 in Rotherhithe, but I know he's there - I have seen the microfilm. If I page through the St Mary Rotherhithe baptisms I can find him.

It's not perfect, but if you treat it as an index, as a starting place, or like an LDS microfilm, it can be sooo Useful. I was able to progress my Dawson line back three more definite generations ! As well as Samuel, his father George and aunts, and grandfather Joseph were all baptised at St Mary Rotherhithe. There don't appear to be any marriages for St Mary in the 1791-1812 period, so I cannot find George's mothers maiden name, but I am so pleased to find his baptism !!

The quality of the original records varies with the different curates and vicars, some had a very neat hand and others look like they struggled with the bare necessities.

St Mary Rotherhithe has at least one burial per month "A drowned man, name unknown", "A drowned lad, name unknown" but also recorded the burials of stillborn children, some with their mothers.

Di
                Diane
                Sydney Australia
                Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

My grandparents marriage is transcribed as "St Faiths" when they married at St Matthias.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

the churches being transcribed differently is irreverently annoying. but i agree seeing the original images is fantastic, and i have saved a lot on certs, and found that my ancestors baptised their kids same day and place along with their nieces and nephews! so i am very pleased. if ancestry didnt get these records, i would never have sorted out one my mortons! he married twice, adding his fathers name as a given name! would never have seen that!
                    now just waiting on some areas to get later records, and ill be more of a happy bunny! :Big Grin:

Comment

Working...
                    X