Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baptisms would they say if father dead ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptisms would they say if father dead ?

I have a family where I thought the husband had died in 1855 ?? but I have today found baptisms for children after he died ??? and his name is on them
    Last edited by Guest; 10-10-09, 21:51.

I have seen "widow" inserted after mothers name, and also "deceased" before the father. I think I remember seen "posthumous" written as well.

Just looking through different parishes of London on the LMA records, it seems to depend on the minister or curate as to how much information was recorded - some wrote the bare necessities and some recorded great detail. I seem to remember some comment on a baptism to the effect that the husband had been deceased a year or so !!

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I found one of mine last week where the father's occupation says "Clerk, deceased" (this was St Marylebone)
      Jackie

Comment

It would depend on each individual Vicar, some would not record parents, some would record parents and include info if they were dead others would not record the fact that they were dead.

Sylvia
        Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
        Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
        Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

I have one who was born in 1848 & not baptsed until 1850 & that lists his father as being deceased.
          Lynn

Comment

thanks everyone what a pain was hoping I had made a mistake now not sure ???

Comment

Only recently I found a baptism (cant remember who it was now) baptised at the age of 6 or so, father had died about 3 years earlier, but no mention of it.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

my 2nd great grandma was baptised age 16 in 1887. doesnt mention her dad being dead, as on the 1881 census, but the parents so far havnt married, and he is away on the only census they should be together! i havnt seen any deaths, and cant get backwards with him either!

Comment

Working...
                X