Ancestry Census Printing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Census Printing.

I've not used Ancestry for census searches for some time now and was surprised to find out the the printing options have changed, I've always printed a copy of the census as a full A4 image only on one side with a copy of the source transcript on the other side.
    Is anyone else having problems with the image only print option, I received a massage "error when printing file", I've also tried 2 other laptops with different printers and still receive the same error.
    I've also tried to download the image file with no luck.

Steve.
    Steve.
    Researching;Fitzjohn:Crouch:Parker:Howlett ;)

Yes, it's driving me up the wall, takes twice as long to print now that instead of just clicking & printing you have to make several changes to the set up first.:madd:
    Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Not had a problem printing the censuses. There are 3 options now, I always use the "image only" option (the first one in the list) and change my printer setting to landscape. I have also downloaded an image with no problem. To do this I click on the save icon on the Ancestry page and save it to my own computer, not the shoebox thingy.

Sorry I cannot offer any other help but perhaps someone else will come along with a suggestion as to what is causing the problem for you.

Comment

I always save the census onto my computer under the family name and print of from there when I want it to take away any Black from the edges ;;
        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Same as Babs, I always save the image to my PC first, and then crop off the black bits and print on A4 size paper.

No problems at all.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by fitzjohn1001 View Post
            I've not used Ancestry for census searches for some time now and was surprised to find out the the printing options have changed, I've always printed a copy of the census as a full A4 image only on one side with a copy of the source transcript on the other side.
            Is anyone else having problems with the image only print option, I received a massage "error when printing file", I've also tried 2 other laptops with different printers and still receive the same error.
            I've also tried to download the image file with no luck.

Steve.
            I've started to have the same problem. Get the error message if I try to print and although the computer appears to be saving (ie I get the spinny icon thingy!) nothing appears in the folder where I have tried to save to. I'm wondering if my anti virus is blocking the download, but am not getting a message on screen to this effect.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks for all your comments,

It seems that Ancestry have a problem if you use browser IE8 with vista premium which they are working on.
              I have now copied and cropped the image to print, same as Babs and Judith which works ok.
              Also when you print the source details (as friendly print) it now prints over 2 pages.

Life is never easy and Ancestry just makes it a little harder.
              Not sure if I will renew my membership which is due next month.

Steve.
              Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Elderflower View Post
                Not had a problem printing the censuses. There are 3 options now, I always use the "image only" option (the first one in the list) and change my printer setting to landscape. I have also downloaded an image with no problem. To do this I click on the save icon on the Ancestry page and save it to my own computer, not the shoebox thingy.

Sorry I cannot offer any other help but perhaps someone else will come along with a suggestion as to what is causing the problem for you.
                I can do that Pat but when it used to be one click on the printer icon this is now a pain in the butt!
                Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Also, what's all this 3 windows format on viewing a census....the old single image was good enough....Why change something that WORKED.
                  Steve.

Comment

Also, what's all this 3 windows format on viewing a census....the old single image was good enough....Why change something that WORKED.
                    Because it's Ancestry and they can:roll-eyes: I have no doubt that they have some clever techie people who love messing with computers but have never done any family history research themselves and have no idea, from a user's point of view, what works best. I am still very pleased that there is such a site though. The advances in records availability has increased enormously over the past few years. Just wish they could wake up to the financial benefits to them if they could get some proper Irish records on there. I suspect that there are real issues about putting them online, or surely they would have done them by now.

Comment

It still WORKS - to view the full-page image, just click on "Image Only" in the green bar above the image. :smilee:

I like the new format, as you can see the source information (click on Source tab, next to Member Connect tab) on the same page without having to click back and forth, and you can make corrections on the same page too (in the window below the image).
                      Sarah

Comment

About 2 months ago I started to get the " new view " but only for 1861.
                        Then it stopped , I have just checked and all Census from 1841 to 1901 show the old way.

Maybe us southerners take a long time to catch up with "progress"

Ken

Comment

They are all shown in the "new view" for me, but I can switch back and forth between "Image Only" or "View All" using the button in the green bar above the image. Is that button not available to you Ken?
                          Sarah

Comment

Sorry for the delay.

I have just viewed census using new search and old search and every view is the old one.
                            This suits me as I prefer using the old search and the old viewer.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
                              It still WORKS - to view the full-page image, just click on "Image Only" in the green bar above the image. :smilee:

I like the new format, as you can see the source information (click on Source tab, next to Member Connect tab) on the same page without having to click back and forth, and you can make corrections on the same page too (in the window below the image).
                              Sarah,
                              I can view in the image only format, but due to problems with Vista I'm unable to print that view.
                              As to the new 3 windows format against the old format; maybe I'm getting old and don't like change !! :Big Grin:
                              Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post

Sarah,
                                I can view in the image only format, but due to problems with Vista I'm unable to print that view.
                                As to the new 3 windows format against the old format; maybe I'm getting old and don't like change !! :Big Grin:

Steve.
                                Steve.

Comment

Working...
                                X