Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.d meaning please

hope some one knows what the initialls U.D mean as in General Hospital U.D
    This shows up on two death cerfiticates c1920. Its driving me crazy, tried to find out via search engines, no luck. Just found time to get back into geaneolgy again after a few months break forgetting how exasperating it can be lol. regards Debs

Normally, I'd have said "urban district", but that doesn't seem to work in that context, does it?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have some that show USD which is Urban Sanitary District, so I suspect UD is as Christine mentions.

Comment

What were the causes of death? I'm thinking Urinary Department or some such department.
        Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

I think, pre national health service, the general hospital would have been run by the local authority - Urban District or Rural District, which were the successors to the old poor law unions which ran the workhouse infirmaries. The general hospital often was (and is!) the old workhouse building..
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Unitarian District?..

Tho' Urban District, or Urban Sanitary District or Urban Rural District usually is the form.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I'm sure this question has come up before and the answer is Urban District....

Comment

yes, barbara, i asked this question not long ago. everyone said the answer was urban district or urban sanitary district.

Comment

Working...
                X