How old was your oldest Dad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old was your oldest Dad?

Edmund Boulter was born in Oct 1829 and he and his wife Elizabeth had 11 children, before Elizabeth died in 1909.

I found him in 1911 census with a very new wife - she was 37 and Edmund admitted to being 51 yrs, so knocking 30 yrs off his age :Big Grin:
    They then had 2 daughters in 1912 & 1915, making Edmund 85 when his youngest child was born - lololol.

(Edmund's first child was born in 1857, so she was 58 when her younger half-sister was born.)

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Wow! I've got no-one near that ... you'd think the new wife would be a bit suspicious when he claimed to be 51 with a daughter older than that, wouldn't you?
    Are you sure there wasn't an Edmund Junior?
    Hayley

Researching SCARLETT, HOLLAND, STICKLAND/STRICKLAND, QUICK - in Portsmuth area
    DAVIES, LLEWELLYN, WALSH in Wales

Comment

Thanks for your interest Milly

No, there wasn't another Edmund Reeve Boulter - same job, same pob and correct age of 87 when he died in 1917.

(His son was Edmund Serjeant B and he was in Ely in 1911, with his own wife & family.)

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

And I thought that Leonard Keith Bennett was pushing his luck when he claimed to be 34 when marrying a woman not yet 20, when he was actually 50.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Good heavens, my oldest father was 68 and on his 3rd wife. 85 is certainly good going.

Comment

Makes my oldest dad at 60 (my gg grandfather) seem positively youthful.
            Jenny

Comment

i have a few that finish in their mid 50's. there wives are significantly younger though!

Comment

My oldest was only 57, but this line seemed to like older fathers - I go back 4 generations and I'm into the late 1700's.

Linda
                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

my great grandfather was in his 40's when he married my great grandmother. who was only 19. my grandma and her sister have both married mature men. twice.

Comment

One line of my family tended to marry very late. I was in contact yesterday with a lady whose family all married young, and it turns out that I'm the 3rd cousin of her great-grandmother

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                      My oldest was only 57, but this line seemed to like older fathers - I go back 4 generations and I'm into the late 1700's.

Linda
                      Some of my direct lines are like that too, but I've NOBODY producing children at anywhere near the age of Edmund.

His last job was Inspector of nuisances - I do hope he himself hadn't become a nuisance to local ladies, prior to his second marriage!:madd:

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Theres hope for me yet ;)

Comment

Oldest father that I can verify is my gt x 2 grandfather John Purvey, whose 3rd wife Emily was the same age as his eldest daughter (my gt grandmother Ellen). John's youngest child was born when John was 59.
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

My great grandfather John Creek was 64 when his youngest son Harry was born - unfortunately John died two years later. Harry born 1915 and died earlier this year !.

Great-great grandfather Page was 52 in 1867 when his youngest was born.

(Both younger second wives)

And my husband was surprised to be a father for the 5th time at 53 - poor man, he is still getting over it 7 years later ! (First wife, now 30 years married)
                            Diane
                            Sydney Australia
                            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

And I thought my dad was old at 54 when my youngest half sister was born in 1979!
                              I am the youngest of his children with my mum and I was 29 at the time.
                              Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Working...
                              X