Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something a bit different – can anyone help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something a bit different – can anyone help?

Wondering if one of the magicians on here could have a go at this for me please.

It’s part of the 1911 census and I have already posted it elsewhere on this forum to see if anyone could read it but am still trying to decipher the lighter words. I have gleaned that the middle and bottom words are Kingsale (Kinsale) but really would like to try and find out the top word. Is it possible to get rid of the black writing (County Cork) and then enhance the pale writing to make it clearer? I had a go myself using Paint but am a real amateur and had no success. I suspect a more advanced programme and user might be able to do this.
    Attached Files

I haven't made much improvement to the image, but I do think the second and third pale words both say KINGSALE, which is the name (according to Google) was an Irish Barony. But I can't make the other one out. Sorry not to be more help.
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Thanks for trying Sal. It's the word that starts with B that I was hoping could be enhanced. This is the only clue I have ever had as to where in Ireland they came from.

Comment

Originally posted by Elderflower View Post
        Wondering if one of the magicians on here could have a go at this for me please.

It’s part of the 1911 census and I have already posted it elsewhere on this forum to see if anyone could read it but am still trying to decipher the lighter words. I have gleaned that the middle and bottom words are Kingsale (Kinsale) but really would like to try and find out the top word. Is it possible to get rid of the black writing (County Cork) and then enhance the pale writing to make it clearer? I had a go myself using Paint but am a real amateur and had no success. I suspect a more advanced programme and user might be able to do this.
        Try this website it might give you some clues
        Irish Roots - Families of County Cork

Good luck:smilee:
        Expat in Oz
        I wish I was not so confused:conf:

Comment

Hi
          I reckon that both 2nd and 3rd line are Kingsale so you don't need to lose the County Cork bit just enlarge the top pale word........... It can't begin with b though because that would be lower case ......... possibly another K given how indistinct the others are............... What part of the census is this if its "where born" tricky could be anywhere unless theres a local area that fits .. sorry my Irish geography is shamefully bad !

R

Comment

Thank you both for the latest input. The website looks promising. I will investigate the book some more and will probably be able to get a copy via inter library loan.

The picture I have posted is the place of birth and is the first and only clue I have of where they come from in Ireland. These are the couple, who I mentioned in an earlier post, had 21 children born alive.

Thanks again to everyone who has attempted this.

Comment

Working...
            X