Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will help, please - "took by execution"

I have a copy of a will dated 1739, part of which reads:
    “…... also I give unto my Nephew & Niece Bartlett and Ann Son and Daughter of my Nephew Lawrance Pitman all the Goods that I took by Execution from my Nephew Lawrance Pitman to be equally divided betwixt them”

I've not come across this before: I can only think this means that Lawrance died previously, and the testator in this case was Lawrance's executor. Am I right, or does it mean something else?

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Not sure scuda. He might have been executing some other thing - maybe Lawrance shouldn't have had the goods in the first place?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Or, less likely, there was a court case and a warrant was executed to recover the money.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Snap!
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes, a writ of execution...........

Comment

Thanks Nell, UJ and Barbara. I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you're suggesting, but for the moment I'm fairly happy because I was certain I had found Lawrance's death in 1756, and the thought that he died before 1739 was worrying. If you're all correct I can stick with the 1756 death, even if I still don't really understand "took by execution".

scuda
            Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

If I understand it correctly, he went to court to legally claim something to settle a debt...

Comment

Now
                If I understand it correctly, he went to court to legally claim something to settle a debt...
                Now I understand (I think!). Thanks Barbara.

scuda

Comment

Working...
                X