Help with cross referencing system please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with cross referencing system please

Hello - I have some details on Genes Reunited and on my computer with Family Tree, but have not been doing it a serious way, until now.

I am just starting to sort through lots of photos and documents and want to keep a paper record with the documents, but I am stuck as to the best way of indexing and cross referencing. I looked at the Ahnentafel numbers system, but it does not allow for my children and grandchildren or for any siblings of my ancesters.

Has anyone got a simple system they can recommend please?

I llok forward to any replies

I print out a screen shot of the family view in Family Tree Maker 2006 and then file that in a plastic wallet with all supporting documents under it and put whole lines in 4 ring binders. I put a label on the plastic wallet to show what records I need to have eg list of census, bc, mc and then tick them off as I get them. That way I can see at a glance what is missing.
    Unfortunately you end up needing an extension to the house to accommodate it all LOL.
    Margaret

Comment

i usethe ahnetafl numbering sytem for main people then attach details of extra children on fathers page in word doc. and then i can copy it over to mothers page too. i suppose i could numberthe children as well but i dont bother as i just remember their names - it has taken me so long to find them they are imprinted in my memory.! but all papers and info are kept in file accoding to birth surname so its easier tofind what i am upto.
      whilst have not gone for extension to house have needed to buy filing cabinet!
      Angelina

Comment

Hello Izzywiz

I use Ahnentafel numbers and I can accommodate siblings etc, by giving them numbers like 24A, 24B, etc, where 24 is the Ahnentafel. This is a bit clumsy I admit, and you finish up with some confusing numbers when you start to do the descendancies.

I too have paper files and file as Ahnentafel numbers. I have a personal record sheet for everyone - this personal sheet becomes a family sheet if they marry etc.

I use a very simple flow chart system: "Now go to page 4" etc. I file all relevant papers with their individual/family sheet.

i have found it helpful to photocopy marriage certs and file them TWICE, one copy with each spouse.

OC

Comment

I keep a folder with a fan chart at the front - a number index of sections with couples names and print off a list of people on tree that gives timeline, parents names and partners. (tribal pages). Also ancestors/descendants reports especially for each section.

Then I put births, marriages and death certificates for each of the couple in generation order in each section. Behind which I add what info I have on their children (except for the direct line which have their own section).

Census info I keep separately in sections tabbed 1911, 1901, 1891, 1881 with copies of images filed in alphabetical order.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thank you everyone for your help. I fancy the Ahnentafel numbers system and see how to mark siblings as a and b etc- what about my own children and granchildren? Any suggestions please?

Comment

I received some info in that form.

Think the oldest ancestor was 1 - his sons were 1/1 and 1/2 the eldest sons children were 1/1/1 and 1/1/2 whereas other son's children were 1/2/1 and 1/2/2 if you can see what I mean.

1st generation 1 John Smith

2nd generation
              1/1 Jane Smith
              1/2 Robert Smith
              1/3 John Smith jnr
              1/4 Mary Smith

3rd generation
              1/1/1 -1st child of Jane Smith
              1/2/2 - 2nd child of Robert Smith
              1/3/3 - 3rd child of John Smith jnr
              1/4/1 - 1st child of Mary Smith

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thats brilliant - thank you so much. I thought I must be being thick as I just couldn't think how to do it. A long time back I went to a family history group from U3A and someone there had developed their own system which seemed very easy at the time - it included GF and GGF for Grandfather and Great Grandfather but couldn't remember the rest! My age you know!!

Comment

About 20 years ago one of my fathers relations did some work on his family tree, and started with numbering the oldest ancestor 1. as JBee says above. I ended up being no. 1.1.3.1.3.7.5.1.2.1.2.

Linda
                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                    About 20 years ago one of my fathers relations did some work on his family tree, and started with numbering the oldest ancestor 1. as JBee says above. I ended up being no. 1.1.3.1.3.7.5.1.2.1.2.

Linda
                    So what do you do if you find the ancestor of the original John Smith?

Hugo

Comment

-1?

Linda
                      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
                      X