Threlkeld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threlkeld

Yesterday my husband paid his dues and accessed the 1911 census for the first time. He has had great fun going through all his rellies and has come across a new name. One of the great uncles named one of his sons Herbert Edwin Threlkeld Bentley.
    While the first two names are well used family names - where on earth could they have got 'Threlkeld' from?
    Any ideas will be seriously considered!
    Best regards to all
    Ann

Hi Ann - that strange name rings a bell, but I can't for the life of me think why or how. So I shall watch this thread with interest.
    Cheers

Comment

Hi Ann - this link on web refers to Sir Lancelot Threlkeld of Cumbria:

Sir Lancelot Threlkeld b. 1435 Melmerby, Yorkshire d. 14 Aug 1483 : ClanBarker

I immediately thought of the place Threlkeld in Cumbria:

Threlkeld, Cumbria, Family History, Sailing
      Liz

Comment

Thank you ladies for your interest!
        I am having a look at both the links.
        I did Google it, and came up with something
        to do with embroidery (related to Threadgold)
        and the fact that the name was Cumbrian.
        (I thought it sounded like Viking!)
        We haven't found anything among the Bentleys
        to account for it, we can only think it must
        be something to do with his mother's family,
        who were Hills.
        Still looking!
        Ann

Comment

Hello Ann - this link may be of interest SurnameDB: Threlkeld surname meaning There a few that have it as a first name on FreeBMD
          FreeBMD - Search and many with it as a surname.
          Might link to an area familiar to your husbands family.

Comment

It may have some geographical or historical reference, or it might just be that his family fancied the name.

In years to come, people will be wondering about girls called Kylie and boys called Brad I suspect. Not to mention all the lads called Elvis in the 50s!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Or indeed boys called Magersfontein born during the Boer Wars.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The name may have been given to him as a "compliment" to a relative or valued connection - there may be no genetic link at all. (My husband has a gt gt g'pa with the middle name Pye-Smith; it turned out that his mother's sister had married into the Pye-Smith family.)
                Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Some of mine in the 19C have middle names which are maiden names from the female side - if its several generations back (mother's maternal grandmother's mother etc) it sometimes takes some further research before these names are unearthed and the penny drops!

And - yes! I clicked on this thread just because of the name Threlkeld, which is local(ish) to me!

Anne

Comment

My parents honeymooned not far from Threlkeld. And when we went on holiday to Keswick we went through Threlkeld station when there was still a railway.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you everyone for your help and ideas. His Mother was Sarah Jane Hill b Leeds 1847 with father William Hill and mother Jane, but we have no maiden name for her mother. They all appear to have been born in and around the Leeds area.
                      Clive thinks they may have heard the name and liked it, but I think there has to be more to it than that.
                      Thanks again everyone for your interest
                      Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                        My parents honeymooned not far from Threlkeld. And when we went on holiday to Keswick we went through Threlkeld station when there was still a railway.
                        That railway line is now a beautiful cycly/walking route :smilee: The only place where I have seen raspberries growing wild.
                        Rose

Comment

Working...
                        X