Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone found any interesting sheets in 1911?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone found any interesting sheets in 1911?

I have one completed by the wife - probably because husband was illiterate. That's a plus for me, because it is the wife who is my relly.

I have another one, completed and left at a house vacated by the family on the morning of April 3rd. This is counter-signed by the enumerator, confirming that this was the legal requirement.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I've found most of them didn't know how to fill in the bit about how many children they'd had, so the enumerator has crossed it out, but its still readable & has proved very useful.
    ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

I have one where I know the husband is at sea, the wife has a baby a few days old, plus half a dozen step children & a monthly nurse and the whole thing is filled in by her sister in law who says she is Head of the household on the bottom of the schedule but is actually living at another address down the road. She owned the house so I'm wondering if she normally lived there but moved out temporarily to let the nurse have her room.

Comment

I've just found another one, where my female relly ran a boarding house.
        Each of the 4 boarders completed their own personal details (in individual handwriting styles) before the householder added hers and those of a servant & visitor.
        She probably didn't want the boarders to see she was knocking a big chunk off her age, to match that of the toyboy husband she married in 1900.
        He isn't at home though :conf:

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The most interesting one so far, was for a distant cousin of my ex.

They had filled in all the children's names and ages and they didn't make sense - one child was a few months old and another a few weeks old. I realised after a bit they'd recorded all their children - with the ages at which they'd died. Maybe they didn't understand how to complete the form, or maybe they wanted the ages at which their children died, and their names, recorded.

Either way, it was great for me, as all the children had died between the censuses so I wouldn't have known about them otherwise.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

That was a stroke of luck, Nell.
            Wish everyone who'd lost a child had done that! :Big Grin:

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Yes, it was lucky, but also very sad.

I thought how useful it would be if all this info was available on every census, but then I suppose if I had to fill in such details I would find it a gross intrusion on my privacy!
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I found one for an Essex village pub. The household consisted of the publican Alfred Clark, his wife and 4 of their children, plus a boarder and a visitor. The visitor filled in and signed the form (adding "for Alfred Clark" above his signature) and entered his London address, not the address of the pub on the Postal Address line.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Nell, I had exactly the same. It was such, such sad reading - 3 out of 7 children dead, and all of them between the censuses. I do feel my g-grandfather knew exactly how to fill the form in though, and perhaps just wanted somewhere to record his childrens' lives. The enumerator has also scored the lines through but thankfully they are still legible.

Comment

I've now found a couple of sheets where they've listed the dead children , with the ages they should have been, then the ages they died ( 1 day & 4 days...very sad).

However my great grandfather didn't record the one dead child, of the 10 they did have he only put 9 ( all alive), my Gran was the youngest, & was named after the dead girl, & she was always remembered by the family, so I wonder the reason she was missed off.

The other thing I've found interesting are the number of rooms in the house. There are several well off widows, with adult children still at home in 12 room houses.

Then, parents with 5 adult children , thats 7 people, living in 3 rooms. One couple in the New Forest are living in 1 room with a 7 month old baby. I was thinking this may be a room in the house of a relative, but my father in law can remember visiting the New Forest as a boy in the 1930s, & some relatives lived in a hut, with a dirt floor & cooked outside!
                    ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

iv been suprised by the number of dead children that i had missed up till now.
                      some have put them in then crossed them out. i have one family that only counted the children at home. the eldest daughter had left so they didnt put her in.

perth

Comment

one set of 2nd great grandparents put all their kids down, but the eldest 4 had married and moved out up to 10 years before! they are all crossed out though, but luckily, not too deep! my great grandma is also listed, but there is no other info except her name, she was a servant in another household, and is enumerated there.

the previous great grandma married great grandpa, and his mother died in 1907, but his father filled in the bit about the kids, and the enumerator scrubbed it out! i can see it was filled in, but cant read it! i know there was one child that died as a baby, but that was a fluke on the igi! i wonder if there are any more.

i have found my 2nd and 3rd great grandparents in another line, have 1 more child to trace. their from london, so i may get lucky and find them in the lma records.

Comment

Working...
                        X