Girls rescue home - Leeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls rescue home - Leeds

Could anyone suggest any good places where I may be able to find out about the 'Girls Rescue Home, Brunswick Place, Leeds'.

The period I'm interested in is 2nd half of 1910 and I would be very interested in any records for the inmates at that time.

You could try the Leeds City Council Local and family history services
    It looks as though they have an online request service for research questions.
    Margaret

Comment

Thank you Margaret, I will give that a try.

Comment

Also it might be worth looking on the Leodis site as there might be a photo of Brunswick place or even the home.

Comment

Hi Barbara, I managed to get a picture of the properties in an abandoned looking state. They've all long gone, been demolished now, which is a shame.

Comment

There are a few pictures on Leodis, Brunswick Place was in Little London, near the city centre, the only other thing I can think of is, I belong to another site called "Secret Leeds" I suspect someone on there could probably help.

Comment

Not that I'm a pessimist or anything, lol, but I think it will be a miracle if any papers concerning residents have survived.

They would have been "sensitive" and I'm sure someone would have burned them or they will have been "lost".

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
                There are a few pictures on Leodis, Brunswick Place was in Little London, near the city centre, the only other thing I can think of is, I belong to another site called "Secret Leeds" I suspect someone on there could probably help.
                I've seen the pictures on Leodis Barbara, the nearest is No. 24. So close but not quite there. Wish the photographer had stepped back a little more and captured No's 21 to 23 as well.

Thank you very much for the "Secret Leeds" site I will definitely investigate that more, probably on Tuesday now.

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                Not that I'm a pessimist or anything, lol, but I think it will be a miracle if any papers concerning residents have survived.

They would have been "sensitive" and I'm sure someone would have burned them or they will have been "lost".

OC
                You may well be right OC but if I don't investigate my chances of finding anything will always be zero.

Comment

Was it owned by the Salvation Army? There are some archives for a Rescue Home in Leeds
                  International Heritage Centre: Girls' Statement Books

Comment

Thanks naomiatt, I don't think it was owned by the Salvation Army as I haven't seen any reference to indicate so on the 1911 census. I will have a look at the link though.

Comment

Originally posted by John-Nihon View Post
                      Thanks naomiatt, I don't think it was owned by the Salvation Army as I haven't seen any reference to indicate so on the 1911 census. I will have a look at the link though.
                      Not a prob. I found info for around that time period with the University of Southampton archives - that was for a home in Stamford Hill in London.
                      I'm not sure if they have info for Leeds...could be worth a look at their archive holdings.
                      Special Collections

Comment

I have tried Hidden Lives Revealed: A Virtual Archive - Children in Care 1881 - 1918 for you - its the waifs and strays society site. but i dont think the two places they had in leeds were in the right area for you - very sorry.
                        Angelina

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                          Not a prob. I found info for around that time period with the University of Southampton archives - that was for a home in Stamford Hill in London.
                          I'm not sure if they have info for Leeds...could be worth a look at their archive holdings.
                          Special Collections
                          Originally posted by angelina View Post
                          I have tried Hidden Lives Revealed: A Virtual Archive - Children in Care 1881 - 1918 for you - its the waifs and strays society site. but i dont think the two places they had in leeds were in the right area for you - very sorry.
                          Thank you very much naomiatt and angelina, I've not found anything on those sites but they are very interesting and were well worth looking at.

Not had chance to have a proper look at "Secret Leeds" yet Barbara but hoping that I will get around to it very soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X