Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Vital Records - time-limited free records...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Vital Records - time-limited free records...

Free until 16 Oct 2009
    The Marriage Registers of St. Nicholas, Durham

Free until 15 Oct 2009
    Scots in the Mid-Atlantic States, 1783 - 1883
    Wells Cathedral (BMD records)

Free until 11 Oct 2009
    El Payaso (Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico)
    El Popular (General, , Mexico)

Free until 10 Oct 2009
    El Pájaro Verde (General, , Mexico)
    El Partido Liberal (General, , Mexico)

I find the site a bit clunky at times, and it does duplicate subscriptions if you have FMP, say, already. I also find it frustrating that there's no part-search: if you click on something that ain't free, without a sub, you get sent straight to the subscription page: how are you supposed to know if there's anything of use to you?

On the other hand it does have some useful stuff occasionally, and is worth keeping an eye on.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Pre-1841 Censuses and Population Listings in the British Isles (available 10/12/2009*) (Free for 10 days - until 21 Oct 09?)

*I rather think that that is US date-format - i.e. 12 Oct 09 (not 10 Dec 09).

I did try putting an assortment of names into the search box, but got no useful hits, so the resource is more limited than one might hope.

~~~~~

EDIT: I've had a look at a few images. It's more of a reference book, with a few specific examples, and lots of recommendations for where to look for additional info on particular sources. I suspect you're better off putting in any old name which gets a hit (e.g. Smith) and then choosing to start at the beginning and read through!

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 17-10-09, 09:05.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

i was at an FH conference recently and there was a speech/seminar by a man who runs World Vital Records Australia - he said there are four free databases every week, but I have never used it before.

I guess we should all keep a close eye on them for anything useful - but I could not figure out how to find out the free databases, in the news section ?

Just a quick look at the Australian page shows databases that are mostly free elsewhere, you just have to search each one individually.

Di
      Last edited by dicole; 17-10-09, 20:39.
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

WorldVitalRecords.com - Family History Bulletin
        Upcoming Databases (dates in USA format: mm/dd/yy)

* The Parish Registers of Blymhill, in Staffordshire (available 11/9/2009)
        * Notes of Cases, House of Lords, 1913 (available 11/9/2009)
        * A Pictorial and Descriptive Guide to Bournemouth (available 11/10/2009)
        * Memorials of the Parish of Alloa (available 11/10/2009)
        * The Parish Registers of Worcester Cathedral (available 11/11/2009) Free for 10 Days!
        * The Parish Registers of Over Areley (Upper Areley) (available 11/11/2009)
        * The Parish Registers of Eastham with the chapelries of Hanley Child, Orleton and Hanley William (available 11/12/2009) Free for 10 Days!
        * The Parish Registers of Bucknall cum Bagnall (available 11/12/2009)

Newspapers:
        * Colorado Springs Gazette Telegraph (Colorado Springs, Colorado) (available 11/9/2009)
        * Council Bluffs Daily Economist (Council Bluffs, Iowa)(available 11/9/2009) Free for 10 Days!
        * Daily Advocate (Tipton, Indiana) (available 11/10/2009)
        * Daily Fair Bulletin (Carroll, Iowa) (available 11/10/2009)
        * The Daily Jacksonian-Republican (Rushville, Indiana) (available 11/11/2009)
        * Daily People's Press and News (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) (available 11/11/2009)
        * The Des Moines Daily Leader (Des Moines, Iowa) (available 11/12/2009)
        * Diary Or Woodfall's Register (London, United Kingdom) (available 11/12/2009) Free for 10 Days!

Comment

Other recent (from 13 Oct) additions include:

1930 US Census Index
          Northowram Register, 1644 - 1752
          The History of St. Peter's School :York
          The Parish Registers of Penn, in Staffordshire
          Melbourne Directory 1860 (Sands)
          The Parish Registers of Ingram, in Northumberland
          The Parish Registers of Settrington, in the East Riding of Yorkshire
          Keble College Register, Oxford
          The Parish Registers of Kirby Hill, in the North Riding of Yorkshire
          The Parish Registers of Mirfield in Yorkshire
          The Parish Registers of Stoke-upon-Trent, in Staffordshire
          Irish Times (Dublin, County Dublin, Ireland)
          The Parish Registers of Easingwold in the North Riding of Yorkshire
          The Parish Registers of Chipstead and Titsey, in Surrey
          The Parish Registers of Berkswich (Baswich) with Walton, in Staffordshire
          The Parish Registers of Rowley Regis, in Staffordshire

plus a number of newspaper sets from USA, Canada and elsewhere.

Christine

Comment

Working...
          X