Bit of guidance please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of guidance please

I have a distant grandparent, James Danslow, who in 1841 is in Marylebone, born in county and date of birth puts it around 1795. 1851 his place of birth is Ealing and born 1795. His death cert in 1852 puts date of birth as 1792. Marriage in 1817 is in Marylebone and all children were born in Marylebone. I have looked at all the Ealing records now on Ancestry and i am now trawling through the thousands of pages of Marylebone, but the number of pages between 1792 and 1795 is enormous!! im going to have to do it anyway, but which date would you aim for? the census or the death cert?

many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

I would trust the census more as that is information he gave at the time as opposed to the death cert which is information given by someone else.
    Margaret

Comment

I'd agree, if I have several different birth dates throughout someone's life. I go with the source created closest to the time of birth as people lie, forget, dont care as they get older it seems.
      Hail Spode!

Comment

I'd go for 1794-5... to start with.

As has been said, he's more likely to give the right age than someone else on his behalf. If you'd had only 1841, that would be different, because then his YoB could be anywhere from 1791-1796 (unless he did actually get entered with an exact age instead of the rounded-to-next-5-below age).

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
        X