peter ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peter ford

i need some serious help with peter ford.
    he was born in hawkesbury/upton/wickwar in gloucester in 1835. these small towns are fairly close to each other.

he married elizabeth ambler at st peter's leeds on 16 jan 1858. his occupation was 'gunner in the royal artillery', and he was living in the barracks. (i have emailed their museum about finding his army records.) his father is given as william ford, labourer.

elizabeth ambler was born in 1834, the daughter of lawrance ambler, a joiner, and dorothy halliwell, married at the same church in 1832.

peter is missing in 1841 & 1851. in 1861, the family are in woolwich barracks, kent. from 1871, the family is in leeds, and his occupation is gardener. he died in 1905.

1861-Class RG9, Piece 531, Folio 187, Page 25
    1891-Class RG12, Piece 3713, Folio 7, Page 8

can anyone please see if they can find him in 1841-51?

am i clutching at straws here? peter and elizabeth named their son arthur poole ford, born 1867, kirkstall district. i have no idea where 'poole' comes from.

i was looking for peter's born hawkesbury (no surname) and came across a peter poole b.1834 hawkesbury in 1851 as a servant in kingswood. i remembered the name, so i traced him to 1841. he was living in hawkesbury with mother harriett, and brother william.

well, this peter vanishes after 1851. i found his baptiam on the igi, father thomas and mother harriett. peter and elizabeth's eldest son was william thomas, their eldest daughter harriett anne.

does anyone think i may have found my peter? or am i completely bonkers? :conf:

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
      am i clutching at straws here? peter and elizabeth named their son arthur poole ford, born 1867, kirkstall district. i have no idea where 'poole' comes from.

i was looking for peter's born hawkesbury (no surname) and came across a peter poole b.1834 hawkesbury in 1851 as a servant in kingswood. i remembered the name, so i traced him to 1841. he was living in hawkesbury with mother harriett, and brother william.

well, this peter vanishes after 1851. i found his baptiam on the igi, father thomas and mother harriett. peter and elizabeth's eldest son was william thomas, their eldest daughter harriett anne.

does anyone think i may have found my peter? or am i completely bonkers? :conf:
      I had a look at what you've got and can't really offer much help, but I did see that Thomas Poole married Harriott Crew in 1827 Hawkesbury. Might be worth trying to find a connection to your Ford family.
      Margaret

Comment

I take it that for 1841 you've gone through all the pages of the census for Hawkesbury for any clues?
        Margaret

Comment

Just looking at 1851 for any Ford b1811, looking for Peter's father William and came across Harriett Ford age 40 and Ann Crew age 32 living together here HO107; Piece: 1956; Folio: 426; Page: 17.
          Probably means nothing but thought I'd pass it on because it seems it might just go towards supporting your theory.
          Margaret

Comment

thank you margaret. im not holding out for much! i hope that maybe the royal artillery can help a little. i will look at harriett and anne in 1851.
            i havnt searched through the 1841 census on ancestry, but there was a site for hawkesbury area in the wiki, i believe they had the census for their area in that year, but there wasnt any fords! or maybe there were a few, there wasnt a peter.

Comment

Kyle

The Peter Poole your looking at for a candidate for you Peter Ford shows as Peter Pool 1841 census with his mum Harriott 35 and a brother William age 12 and an Ann Crew age 70
              WendyP

Comment

Kyle

marriage

1842 Harriett Poole and a William Ford are on the same page together for Chipping Sodbury Gloucestershiree

Coincidence?

I think not.
                WendyP

Comment

Originally posted by WendyP View Post
                  Kyle

The Peter Poole your looking at for a candidate for you Peter Ford shows as Peter Pool 1841 census with his mum Harriott 35 and a brother William age 12 and an Ann Crew age 70
                  Wendy, that's a brilliant find! I think Kyle is on the right track with Peter and his name change.
                  Margaret

Comment

ok, so let me get this straight, thomas poole marries harriott crew. they have william and peter. thomas dies at some point, and harriott is with her mother in 1841. harriott marries william ford in 1842, and is widowed? by 1851? peter is still poole, and changes his name to ford at some point? maybe when he goes in the army? why does he never use poole again?

Comment

Kyle

That's it in a nutshell. 1851 Harriett is shown as a Widow and in the Dec quarter of 1850 there is a death of a William Ford in Chipping Sudbury Reg District which could be the hubby of Harriet and the man whom Peter noted as being his father.
                      WendyP

Comment

wow. ive seen other members here with the same problem, but never thought it was my problem!
                        there is no death for thomas poole between 1837-1841, so he must have died 1834-1837.
                        ive just seen that death for william ford.
                        i cant see one in gloucestershire for harriott ford, nor see her in a later census.
                        maybe she was in yorkshire when she died. ill have to see if i can find the brother william.

Comment

ive found peter's brother william in 1851. he is on the previous page of his mother harriott. he married an anne watts in 1849, hawkesbury.

Comment

HI Kyle

The brother of Peter, William stays as Poole through the and in the 1861 census he is shown as Toole and his mum Harriett is living either with him and his wife Ann or next door to him and she shows as Fords for her surname.

1871 she has Williams wife with her
                            WendyP

Comment

wow. amazing. ive just seen the 1871 census. i guess i can rule out the death for william poole in chipping sodbury 1844 then.

Comment

Hi Kyle

There is a user submitted tree on the One World tree on ancestry maybe you could chance making contact that connects the Poole family to William Ford sadly no death shows but you never know what info they may have.
                                WendyP

Comment

i cant seem to see it wendy. i cant find a death for william pool or harriet either. ive go ann in the census and her death now.

Comment

Working...
                                  X