Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only two week trial on Ancestry, help! ! !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only two week trial on Ancestry, help! ! !

Hello, I was hoping somebody could help me. I am trying to trace my grandfather in 1901 Census. I have birth and death certs and have found his marriage:

THOMAS HERBERT MOORE

Born 16th November 1894 Toxteth Park Liverpool

Married Henrietta Matilda Nolan 1st quarter 1919 (DOB - 15th July 1894)

Thomas died 19th October 1963 The Meadows, Heskin (possably a nursing home?)

Of the first four that come up on Ancestry the first one is right location but a year out on birth and middle name is "R" not "H" could that be a missprint ? The other three are right birth year but not Toxteth Park?
    Help please and thanks.
    Denise

Can you give the name of his parents, plus his fatherĀ“s occupation - from the birth certificate.
    Elaine

Comment

If he's
      Born 16th November 1894
      ...then he'll probably show up as born about 1895 - because the later censuses were taken ca 31 Mar / 1 Apr, so he wouldn't have reached his birthday for that year.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

only two week trial

Hi and thanks for quick reply. Sorry but I only have "short birth cert." no details of father etc.
        Will have to order one, forgotten all about full certs. :roll-eyes:
        Thanks, Denise

Comment

I think I've found the image of the 1901 that you were talking about. Whilst the writing is generally very clear, that particular initial is quite ambiguous. It really could be a squashed up H, or an R.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks was thinking that as a possable?

Comment

I am with Elaine -- can you give details of parents names and fathers occupation from Birth cert. It's definitely an R on the image for the one you mention.

However, that Thomas R is listed with the same family as Thomas Herbert Moore in the 1911 census, so its possibly an error by the enumerator when transferring the household schedule to his book.

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia
              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thanks Di, are there any other family members 1911 ?

Comment

hi denlee
                  Thomas Moore 45
                  Margaret Jane 43
                  Margaret Eliza 11

same as 1901 census. this is just from the index.

The index question also brings up James Moore 51 and John James Moore 26, but I don't know if its the same household. There is only one Thomas Herbert Moore in Toxteth Park, although there is another born the same year 1895 in Leicestershire (1911).

Di
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia
                  Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thanks Di,
                    looks like the only way to be sure is to order full cert, although the names you have given do seem to run in the family.
                    Better be quick with GRO before free trial expires, or I do :Big Grin:

Thanks everybody. Denise

Comment

I wasn't going to continue the R/H discussion, but I've just had another look.

If you look at other examples of upper-case R on the same page (Robert, Railway) and on the page before (Removal), none has the curly serif on the base on the first upright - that does occur on upper-case H. In addition, the page before has a name which has been transcribed as Relda, but should be Hilda.

The disputed initial has a curly serif on the base of the initial upright. QED ;)

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine,
                        just had one of those blinding flashes of realisation, had another look at 1901 and if you compare "H" in HEAD then it sure looks the "R" in Thomas R.
                        Thanks for turning on the light for me.

Denise

Comment

Working...
                        X