Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of Who Do We Think You Are 8th October 2009 is.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of Who Do We Think You Are 8th October 2009 is.........

Bubblebelle

Well done i hope you manage to knock some brickwalls down.
    Jen

Good luck Bubblebelle - have a good week! I did, everybody who helped was wonderful! :smilee:
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Oh WoW

I've just got home from a busy night shift to find this good news!

I need my bed so I will post up my brick wall/s this evening.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Night Night
      Last edited by bubblebelle; 09-10-09, 08:16. Reason: typo
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Hi.

I am sorry this is so long I am just trying to give the info I have found so you do not have to cover the same ground.

Brick wall no1:

William Youell born circa 1808 Haddon/Hales Norfolk d.1882 Lambeth
        Married
        Eliza Hall b.1809 Kirby Norfolk
        In Ellingham 1831

Can anyone find a baptism for him…. Anywhere, I do not know who is parents are.
        I have all the information for the family post this marriage, it’s just his parentage that is missing. Incidentally his marriage is shown under 2 name spellings.

And my never ending search for my version of the great wall of China

George Arthur Perry

Info from 1881

Marriage 3rd Jan to Jessie Pope, Newcastle on Tyne, address Westmoreland (Terrace?) aged 28 widower
        Occ: Accountant
        father George Perry surgeon deceased

Cannot find in1881 census. Jessie is transcribed a till working in service to the Vicar at Mickley as a single woman

20th Nov: Birth son,
        John Arthur Perry, Oak Hse Carson Rd, West Dulwich
        Father George Arthur Perry
        Occ: Auctioneer/Estate Agent

20/5/1886 Successful candidate for position of Inspector of Nuisances in Public Health Dept Borough of Marylebone having held a similar position in Borough of St Mary, Islington for an unknown period.

The Journal of the Royal Society for the Promotion of Health, Jan 1890; vol. 11: pp. 333 - 342.
        Associate:
        Arthur Perry: 45 Townsend Rd

1891 Death Jessie Perry (wife) 45 Townsend Rd, St Johns Wood

1891 census
        45 Townsend Rd, St Johns Wood
        Arthur Perry head 1854 St Tago Sanitary Inspector
        John A Perry son 1886 West Dulwich

Marriage 14th Sept to Edith Youell Tendring Essex residence Clacton on Sea (Jessie’s nurse)
        Age 37 widower
        Occ: Sanitary Inspector
        Father: George Perry surgeon

The Journal of the Royal Society for the Promotion of Health, Jan 1891; vol. 12: pp. 128 - 139.
        Arthur Perry: Associate: 45 Townsend Rd

1892: Birth Dorothy Annie Ipswich Suffolk

1901 census
        49 Laurel Hse
        Arthur Perry Head 47 S.America Sanitary Inspector Brit Nat
        Dorothy Perry Daughter Ipswich
        Edith Perry Wife 35 London
        Edward Perry Son 7 London
        Percival Perry Son 4 London
        Alice Youell Sister in law 29

Birth: Son
        Maurice Frederick

6th July Birth: Son
        Ernest Cecil
        Father Arthur George, Fingringhoe
        Occ Sanitary Inspector

29/10/1908 Aged 54 years submitted a medical certificate of physical incapacity and was retired on a pension of £1.2.0 per week.

Birth: son
        Leslie Mark district Brentford

28th Jan: Death
        George Arthur Perry
        Age 84
        Place of Death: Warkworth House, Twickenham Rd Isleworth
        Cause: Myocarditis/Senility
        Home address: 110 Mornington Rd, Greenford

Other info from family journal:
        In Ballarat Australia 1869 with father… 2 Georges registered as passengers on ss Great Britain.

Reported to be a member of the Methodist Chapel in 1884, Charlotte St, Kings Cross before joining the Salvation Army, 11 Holloway Corps reaching rank of Sergeant and Cavert Sergeant.

Reports of working around Kings Cross working in Soup kitchens and prostitutes.

Report of an Aunt Rose and Uncle Tom keeping contact after a family rift.

Through GALE, I have found some reports of an Arthur Perry , accountant in the Darlington/Stockton/ Bishops Auckland area… one article for Stockton indicates he was involved in setting up a soup kitchen in the late 1870’s.

I have contacted Newcastle Archives to see if they can find anything in relation to 1881 marriage, am awaiting results, to see if worth going to Stockton area.

My actual wall is finding any information in relation to George Arthur’s parentage and any info prior to 1881, such as his first marriage, census details, passenger lists.

Birth: Have contacted the Chilean authorities, but records were not officially kept in this era. I initailly thought George may have developed a new persona for himself, however as through my research and uncovered varios cousins around the world, the family story remains consistant. Within this there is much talk of some connection with Spanish royalty. Whether this is on George senior side or on the unknown mother... I do not know.

Possible father:
        I have followed through George Perry and Parry on the medical registers, in a search for possible father.

George Parry Suffolk.. Had a son George Arthur who went on to become a Doctor himself, so not mine

George Perry Wales/ Hants Son George born in the 1840’s

George Perry, Scots fusiliers‘, does not fit the time line and had 2 sons around 1860’s, 1 George and 1 Arthur.

There is an Irish George Perry who I have been unable to follow, maybe someone here may be able to help.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you for even endeavouring to read this.

PS If you Google you will find several references to this man through my previous searches and my contribution to others family mysteries, obviously some of these are out of date, after further investigation.
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Please note, I work shifts so I will not be able to respond this evening, nor Sunday evening, but I will catch up as soon as possible.

Once again Thanks
          Bubblebelle x

Comment

Have you checked FMP Overseas births for George Arthur's birth in South America? He is described as a British subject so I would have expected him to have been registered somewhere.
            Other than that I can't for the minute think what else you could do.
            Margaret

Comment

Here's a reference for John George Perry Surgeon in the National Archives
              JavaScript Support Check

Comment

Hi Margaret.

No sadly he isn't on FMP Overseas births, there is also another site I have checked which I have on favourites, so unfortunately I cannot give the address of how to reach South American details. but anyway that came up blank too.

It is interesting that you have mentioned John George Perry, I have always had a sneaky suspicion that he may be relevent, but I just cannot tie him in. He was a member of the Royal Astranomical Society and there appears to be some relation to Charles Darwin.
                In trying to make sense of why someone may be visiting Chile in the 1850's. I found that there was a planning voyage there, to view the imminent transit of Venus, but that's the only tenuous link I have found. He was also an Inspector of Prisons although what that would have a link to I don't know. I am also found that in that era, ore was shipped to Chile from Wales to be smelted.
                I have tried to link George Arthur with John George, but sadly without success.... so far. I have found a George A, in private school in London in 1871 census... he is reported that he was born in London, but a school of course may not be aware of his actual birthplace.
                I have no idea if there would be school records or where they may be kept, if there are any.
                George A's son writes that according to his father, his grandfather sailed to numerous countries including S.America, India, Australia, sometimes taking George A with him, but I haven't been able to find any info on passener lists.

Many thanks Margaret.

Mandy
                Bubblebelle x

Comment

I guess that being abroad at times is what makes sense and I suppose if George A's father was a surgeon he may well have served as such on the ship and/or in the country where they landed.
                  I wonder if they might have been connected to missionary societies? not that any of this speculation really helps.
                  Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
                    George A's son writes that according to his father, his grandfather sailed to numerous countries including S.America, India, Australia, sometimes taking George A with him, but I haven't been able to find any info on passener lists.
                    They could have been on privately charted ships, which is what an explorer would do.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion re missionaries, as I have stated re George A, he was in the Salvation Army, somewhere on the internet I remember finding information related to a bell, misions and Perry, somewhere in America, but I think USA rather than S.America.... you know what it's like when you try all combo's in searches. I will try and find again and explore further.

Re ships: I have been down the route of ship's surgeons, as a cousin suggested this, there was a ships surgeon George Perry but again did not fit the time line. It all gets so confusing.

Uncle John, do you think if I contacted the Royal Astranomical society, (sorry re the spelling) they may have information in relation to this expedition? Thank you it may just open another line of enquiry.

I do believe that this Perry family were relatively affluent in 19th century. My couiins and my own grandfather all appeared to have a bizarre lifestyle in that they were in the Salvation Army but conversely had elements of a bohemian lifestyle. George A' son with Jessie went to sea in the merchant navy. At least 2 of the other brothers were scientific minded. George A however appeared to have lost a lot of money in his latter years, possibly in relation to dementia.

I have always thought it strange that there was no son George, I wondered if there may be one from the first marriage and have half heartedly checked out some births and infant deaths mainly in the NE. Although again I cannot authenticate George A, actually being the Arthur identified in the 19th century newspapers I found.

Does anyone else feel that with 2 George's there should be another son somewhere with this name? Following on from the tradition of the age.
                      Bubblebelle x

Comment

Yes, I agree I would have expected a George somewhere. In my family line I have Thomas through all the generations on one side and Robert in another.
                        Margaret

Comment

Hi - perhaps the Salvation Army have some records in their Archives - this is just one site, but if you google, you'll see more -
                          Report on the records of the Salvation Army Headquarters records
                          You also mentioned that they might have travelled to Australia on their journeys..
                          This might be useful Convictions Australian Shipping

Comment

....and here's a site for the SS Britain

Comment

Hi Naomiatt

Thank you for those links, I will take a look, my cousin has contacted the ss Great Britain museum in Bristol and they are going to see if they can find anything, but like everywhere they are short staffed, so may take a time, a bit like my own search request in Newcastle.

Mandy
                              Bubblebelle x

Comment

Mandy,

I suspect you have seen this?

- Ancestry.co.uk
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie.

Thank you and yes. I discovered this cousin recently, when ancestry alerted me to this member collecting details of my Dads death. We are now in communication and as with all of us (cousins), that I have found, can go no further back than I have already identified.
                                  John Arthur joined the merchant navy and it is his journal that has provided us with most of the clues re George senior. He and his wife emigrated to Australia in approx 1911/13 and had 10 children in total. So whilst you are all helping me, you are actually helping 4 or 5 of us, who are all trying to pool information. We are surrprised that although we did not know each other, how our lives have reflected each others, eg careers etc.

Many Thanks.
                                  Bubblebelle x

Comment

I always find it fascinating to find 'new' relatives who share the same anecdotal stories that I have heard from my parents - it seems so weird that people who were 'strangers' have shared your life in a way - spooky
                                    And yes there often seems a thread running through all the lives concerned that no-one is conscious of but which seems to influence what we have done.
                                    Margaret

Comment

I just wish I could find something that would help..
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you both.

Margaret, I think the fact that although we descend from 4 different sons (grandfathers) the anecdotal stories correspond, like you have also found. Initially I thought it was all my Grandfathers own rather grandiose personality making it up, but then when you hear it again, and again it adds credence.

Julie, I have been on this a long time, and I do follow up any suggestions etc, in my variou attempts to move forward, so it may just not be there to find.

Perhaps I am fortunate to know as much as I do about George A and now my extended family. I started with only my own Dad's childhood memory of G. A. as a man who would sit in a high back chair wearing a smoking jacket and smoking cap, and that there was a large extended family.

As I have stated I am awaiting some research information and I have a few clues that may be worth further investigation and within this WDYTYA, there are also new suggestions and places I can look at. If nothng else it is nice to be able to just ask for second opinions.

Many thanks ....
                                        Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                                        X