St Pancras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Pancras

How do I know from the baptisms in Ancestry's London PRs which church is St Pancras Old Church and which is St Pancras New Church Euston Square? I know the new church was consecrated in 1822 and became the parish church taking over from St Pancras Old Church but when you look at the baptisms, it's not clear - for example there's an Edith May Carr baptised 22 Jan 1894 appearing as baptised at St Pancras Old Church and again at St Pancras Parish Church.

My great grandmother was baptised at 'St Pancras Parish Church' in 1878 and when I click on the church name from the image, the baptisms go back to 1813, so that must be the Old Church??
    Asa

I'll certainly be interested to know any info about St Pancras. Someone gave me some info about a baptism there ca 1790, I think (not at home to check), but the amount of info I was given (possibly from BVRI) is greater than the amount displayed in the records currently online - and that record doesn't show up in the records online, either.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Both churches are still in use now! so it could be either or both :roll-eyes::conf:

I had a look and both entries are scanned from the same book. you migh need to ask the LMA

Comment

That's odd, Christine - it should be St Pancras Old Church at that time

Hello Peppie, I went to both churches last weekend:-) You're probably right and I need to check the baptisms at the LMA next time I go - there are six siblings I really want to know.

I expect a lot of people know this but there are a lot of baptisms and marriages on the IGI that are under St Pancras Old Church but actually took place at St Pancras Euston Square - why on earth didn't they give the blessed church a different name?
        Asa

Comment

Working...
        X