Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could anyone kindly do me a Probate Index lookup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could anyone kindly do me a Probate Index lookup?

Hi All

I want to order a will for someone but I don't have his exact date of death or full address. I do have a copy of the parish register entry for his burial, and I know that he died in Clutton, Somerset and was buried in Risca, Monmouthshire (in the same grave as his first wife). I don't know how long it would have taken to transport a body that distance in those days, so can't work out when he would have died. I could, of course, order his death cert to find this out, but tbh, I don't have a lot of spare money, and don't really need that long term as it's the info in his will relating to his grand-daughter I'm interested in - she was brought up by a stepmother who was my relative. It's complicated, but other wills I have mention this one, and so I would like to get it to follow the thread (if that makes sense).

On previous trips to Kew I seem to remember seeing dates of death on the Probate Index, which of course would help with my ordering problem. Is there anyone out there who would be anywhere near a copy of the Probate Index any time soon and be prepared to look this chap up for me? His name was Job Price, and he was buried on 16th September 1890 in Risca. The burial entry says he died in Clutton, Somerset, and this ties in with his 1881 census entry. He was 79 at the time of his death.

Many many thanks in advance

Paula x

Hi Poppy - Afraid I can't help with Kew as I'm Aus...but with the probate index...do you know if it would cover deaths that took place in Brighton in the early 1930's?
    Thanks.

Comment

The probate index only covers people who left a will or an inheritance that needed to go to probate. I think it is available on FMP, but not indexed.

Comment

Have sent you a pm, Paula.
        Elaine

Comment

Elaine - thankyou! I'm so daft - I have access to FMP and have now checked the list there... I never realised it was on there, so thankyou for the pointer! I'm sure it'll come in very useful again.

The executor listed matches the name of his second wife, so I'm pretty sure it must be him.

Off to order that will now!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Trina View Post
            The probate index only covers people who left a will or an inheritance that needed to go to probate. I think it is available on FMP, but not indexed.
            Hi Trina - this death happened in Brighton. There were court disputes etc, but they were in Australia. Bit of an unusual one! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
              Hi Poppy - Afraid I can't help with Kew as I'm Aus...but with the probate index...do you know if it would cover deaths that took place in Brighton in the early 1930's?
              No, it goes up to about 1903 if I remember rightly.

Comment

If I remember rightly the index at Kew (and a few other places) which is on microfiche goes up to mid-1940s. Findmypast does indeed go up to 1903.

Comment

My local Family History Society Resource Centre has a microfiche index up to around 1945 - I was looking for one in 1947 so was a bit miffed!
                  If you have a date or year of death the Probate Registry can find the will for you and send a copy for £5. They search up to 5 years after the date of death for this sum.
                  Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                    My local Family History Society Resource Centre has a microfiche index up to around 1945 - I was looking for one in 1947 so was a bit miffed!
                    If you have a date or year of death the Probate Registry can find the will for you and send a copy for £5. They search up to 5 years after the date of death for this sum.
                    Margaret
                    Hi Margaret - Can you order a will on line?

Comment

Unfortunately there is no online search or ordering facilty. The details for a chargeable search or for ordering a will by post when you know the details are here

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                        Unfortunately there is no online search or ordering facilty. The details for a chargeable search or for ordering a will by post when you know the details are here

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/c.../pa1s_0405.pdf
                        Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/c.../pa1s_0405.pdf
                          My local Probate Sub- Registry says they are developing an online ordering service which I hope will include online searching too.
                          Margaret

Comment

Working...
                          X