what's the occupation ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the occupation ?

Could someone tell me the occupation and address for Robert Roper (71) in this 1861 census entry.

Thanks for looking;

- Ancestry.co.uk

Not sure on this!
    Out door ....... from Union ??
    Thought the middle word might be relief - but on second thoughts I donĀ“t think it is!

Edit ... maybe it is - there is a similar occupation higher up the page which seems a bit clearer.
    Elaine

Comment

I think it's outdoor relief from Union.

I agree that the beginning letter of 'relief' doesn't look right, but is similar to Sarah Houghton's notes where the 'r' looks more like it should, although with an embellished script flourish and starting from the bottom line, rather than the expected half way up.

Comment

Outdoor Relief was a form of poor relief, like unemployment benefit. Could it be Train Union.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I think its outdoor relief from Union. Outdoor relief meant you got money without having to go into the workhouse (indoor relief). I am not sure the Union meant a trades union, it might mean the Union as in Union workhouse (several parishes formed a Union who administered the poor law for the area).

I see there's another chap further up the page who is getting outdoor relief too.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I agree with the "out door relief union", looking at the addresses and occupations of neighbours it would appear they are living on banks of a canal or waterway of some sort. I can imagine some type of itinerant camp or boats

Comment

Working...
            X