Old Bailey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Bailey

while looking through the LMA records on Ancestry (Library edition) I found a Burials in the Parish of Sepulchre (think thats right spelling) for 1824,(could be 1829) very bottom entry was for a Robert Geary, his place of abode is shown as Old Bailey, when buried Nov 27, age 3 weeks.
    No idea at moment if he is one of my Geary's but intrigued by this entry, as thought Old Bailey was just a court house, any ideas about it.
    Last edited by mikeg13; 07-10-09, 16:54.

Old Bailey is the name of a street which is where the Central Criminal Court is these days. There are other buildings and presumably the street was there when Newgate prison was standing and would have had dwellings in it.
    Robert

Comment

Interesting snippet -the "When will you pay me say the Bells of Old Bailey" line in Oranges And Lemons refers to the bells of St Sepulchre church, and is probably also a reference to the debtors housed in Newgate gaol
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

St Sepulchre church is opposite the site of the Newgate prison and has a big bell inside it, which used to be rung when a prisoner was hanged.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Readers Digest used to have a shop in Old Bailey, down the road from the Central Criminal Court.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi - The Old Bailey was first built in 1539 as a session house for Newgate gaol.
            It was named after the street, so sounds like it's been around for quite a while ; -)
            Executions took place in the street as well.

Comment

Old Bailey on the map: centre left
              MAPCO Map And Plan Collection Online : Mogg's Strangers Guide To London 1834.
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Working...
              X