Info on Death Cert.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on Death Cert.

I need to get the death certificate of Charlotte Johnson who died about 1858 in Notts. However there are two who fit the time and place. Would she be listed as "wife of Thomas Johnson" in occupation - I could then use that as a check, as they didn't seem to note maiden names on death certificates then.

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

you could, but if the spelling of the husbands name isnt the same, i think they wont issue it?

Comment

There is one showing on the NBI - do you know her date of birth?
      Elaine

Comment

The NBI one is 1855
        Charlotte Johnson - age at death 32
        Buried Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, but the 2 I'm choosing between are Dec quarter 1857 in Basford, or Mar qurter 1858 East Retford. I'm not sure of her age - the only thing I have found for her is an 1851 census entry, where her age has been scribbled over - it could be either 29 or 24. The census transcript has her as 21 but as she has a 7 year old son I don't think that's correct. I think I'll have to try Thomas as a check - I've only ever seen his name spelt one way, so will take the chance.

Linda
          Linda

Comment

Hi Linda, from your member name, I presume you are in Australia. I was going to suggest you ring the local registry office concerned and ask about the details rather than going through the GRO website. I did this recently, to an office in Wales, and was pleasantly surprised at how helpful they were in giving out the information on the certificate. It seems they had them computerised on their office system and could tell me straight away if the one I wanted was the correct one. They gave me so much info, that I need not have bothered paying for the cert as I had, by then, the info I needed! I did buy them though (there were two) so I have a permanent record.

You could perhaps still try phoning them from Australia, depending on the time difference.

Comment

Thanks Pat, I am originally from Oz but am currently in glorious (rainy) berkshire. I did think of ringing them in Notts, and have had a quick look on their website, but couldn't work out who to ring (Doh). I'll go have a good read of the website and try them tomorrow - I assume it's too late for today. Thanks for the help.

Linda
              Linda

Comment

Just rang Notts register office, and, with my luck, the records for the area she died in are split between 6 different offices in Notts, so I would have to ring all 6 at least, or send applications to all 6. I think I'll try the GRO with a check on hubbys name.

Linda
                Last edited by ozgirl; 08-10-09, 12:28. Reason: spelling
                Linda

Comment

Oh dear. Hope the GRO find the one you want.

Comment

Oh Linda dreaded Johnsons hope you get right one babe good luck ;;
                    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Decided on a different tack - I'm getting Thomas and Charlotte's marriage certificate now, as that should give me an indication of Charlottes age, which might help in the application on the death cert. This family are certainly keeping me busy - first wife had 2 sons before marrying, so don't know who the father/s is/are. 2nd wife was married 3 times and had at least 2 children before. All children listed in the censuses as Johnson, so trying to trace who is who is interesting. I love it!!

Linda
                      Linda

Comment

Working...
                      X