Baptism query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism query

I have been given some details of a Baptism in 1887.The parents are named and address,now would they have had to be married to have done this ? It comes from the new London records on Ancestry, it was passed onto me.But I have never been able to find the parents marriage,so I wondered if they would Baptise without a marriage have taken place. ?
    regards Patti

*******always searching*********
    for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

I think you could have...they could have told the vicar they married elsewhere if he asked.

Were they local to the baptism area????

I know in the Catholic church I have a few babies who were baptised with mother and father's names on the cert, but they weren't married.

Comment

Yes they were local, oh well if you have some then she could have just told them the Fathers name couldnt she, he is a mystery you see,cant find him.thanks
      regards Patti

Comment

Patti, I have one like that too, also from the LMA. Child Baptised at 6 years old. Got the Birth cert and no mention of Dad's name. Searched everywhere for the marriage of the name shown in the Baptism but with no luck. Mum turns up later on censuses still with her maiden name and proceded to live with a great Uncle of mine. She then had children by him but cannot find that marriage either, despite the 1911 census showing she had been married 20 years (to him) and had 3 children by him. The earlier child was by someone else.

I have suspected she might have "borrowed" a man to act as Father for the Baptism.

Comment

I think it was quite common - I certainly have a lot of children baptised as if their parents were married when they weren't (or weren't yet) - and quite a few birth registrations the same.
          Asa

Comment

Oh dear thats a pain eh, yes she might have just given a name then, mmm
            regards Patti

Comment

I was thinking the Vicar would not let them do that but it seems they fooled them all.
              regards Patti

Comment

Just a thought Patti.... if you give some details of the marriage you are looking for and the baptism a second eye taking a look may turn something up?
                John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

Also - the marriage may be considerably later than you might have expected! ;)

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Well there are a few family details that I dont think I should put on here so I better just keep trawling things, but thank you very much for the offer.
                    regards Patti

Comment

The Vicar of a Parish church cannot refuse to baptise a baby born in the parish, whether or not the parents are married.

However, he can make a rude note in the parish register, to say the child was illegitimate!

It would seem in your case, either the Vicar THOUGHT they were married, or else he didn't believe in blighting a child's life just because it was illegitimate.

OC

Comment

Yes I expect thats the case, one day I might find out more, its funny how bit by bit you get little bits of the jig saw,just when you think it might be the end,and sometimes from a source you had not heard from for ages, very nice.
                        regards Patti

Comment

London parishes were very populous, I doubt if the vicar would have known all the parents (unlike a small country village for example).

Curiously enough I have just found a baptism for a girl, parents names given as well as surname Moore. It would seem perfectly respectable - except that the surname was the mother's name and she wasn't married to the father. Interestingly, no father's name is given on the birth cert, but his name and occupation match the ones she gave on her marriage cert - except that that doesn't give his surname as Moore but his real name.
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have the same Fathers name given on the Birth Certificate and the Baptism record now, but still cant pin him down,there are lots with this name but no proof of which one was him........yet
                            regards Patti

Comment

Working...
                            X