Puzzled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzled

My ancestors Daniel Smith and Jane Plumridge married at Cookham in Berkshire in 1813 and they lived in Cookham Dean, Cookham Parish.

In 1841, Jane is helpfully recorded as being 39 (with a 26 year old daughter) and born in Berkshire. Daniel is also 39 and born Berkshire.

In 1851, Daniel and Jane are only 46 and both recorded as being born in Cookham Dean.

Jane dies in 1853 and is buried 13th Feb aged 61. Daniel is still alive in 1861 and finally recorded with the realistic age of 68.

There is a Jane Plumridge baptised at Cookham 27th May 1792. This ties in quite neatly with the burial date and also with her being born in Cookham Dean (1851) and Berkshire (1841).

However, the one time vicar of Cookham, Revd Whateley, recorded all the married couples in Cookham and Cookham Dean over several years in the 1830s and 1840s including many details of their backgrounds and families, clearly using his access to the PRs and his personal knowledge of the families. With all my other ancestors in the parish, his information can be verified.

With Jane, Revd Whateley records her as coming from nearby Marlow in Buckinghamshire and being born in 1789. I've looked at transcripts of Marlow baptisms at the time and there are Plumridges baptised in the period, including the children of a Robert and Jane but there's no Jane. The only other I have found is one baptised at West Wycombe, Bucks in 1793, about eight miles from Marlow.

Any ideas what to do?
    Asa

I have Plumridges in my tree but the only Jane was 1821-1829. the plumridges seem to have had huge families and lived around great marlow. stokenchurch, fingest etc.
    about all i can suggest is maybe she had two names eg martha jane and used the second for her marriage.
    i have tried ixquick and google for you and got nowhere - may you could look thru ancestry trees and also tribal pages and see if any one else has Daniel and try to work it out from there?
    Angelina

Comment

Thanks for looking, Angelina - there are a lot of Plumridges about the area, aren't there:-) I did have a look for Daniel on the trees this morning but nothing doing - I'm very sceptical about a good percentage of the trees on there but always worth a look.
      Asa

Comment

had anotherthought or two - what does death certificate say and have you seen burial details- maybe someone else is buried with her that may give you a clue?
        Angelina

Comment

I haven't got her death certificate yet - perhaps I ought, although it will only give me widow of Daniel Smith I suppose. No clues in the burial details though unfortunately. Thanks again
          Last edited by Asa; 07-10-09, 10:03.
          Asa

Comment

Working...
          X