Same signature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same signature?

Could someone have a look at the signature of Thomas Hodges on these two marriage records and see if you think they are likely to be the same man please.

Right hand page, second record
    - Ancestry.co.uk

Left hand page second record
    - Ancestry.co.uk

Thanks
    Sue

they look the same to me sue.. :smilee:
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Looks highly likely to me! :smilee:
      Elaine

Comment

That's what I thought - unfortunately it probably means I've still not found the right Thomas:F
        Sue

Comment

the poor soul didnt stay married very long first time round did he?
          Julie

Comment

No, but he didn't waste much time replacing Sarah either! I don't think he had any children by Sarah (there's none showing in Family Search anyway)

My Thomas had a daughter Harriet, who was baptised in St Giles, by an Elizabeth in 1790. I can't find a marriage apart from the one above in 1793 but if he was married to Sarah in 1791 it discounts that one as MY Thomas. It's very likely that they moved into London having married elsewhere.... (I've just reread that and doesn't make much sense - just ignore me and I'll go away - I know what I mean:Big Grin
            Sue

Comment

I'm inclined to disagree.
              Thos. as opposed to Thomas. There was plenty of room to write it in full.
              T and the stroke leading into h is different. H and g completely different.
              Several differences considering only two years apart.
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks Phil, I'm totally confused now! I've now found a possible marriage between Thomas Hodge (no S) and an Elizabeth..... This might be Harriet's parents and it may be that I have the children of two (or three) different couples completely muddled up:emb:
                Sue

Comment

hmmn I see what you mean Sue. (I understand you..lol)

have you found a bapt within LMA for Harriet Thos/elizabeth parents?
                  Julie

Comment

Are you up for a challenge then, Julie?

My 3x gt grandmother was Esther Hodges. She married William Matthews in 1818 under licence as a minor, with permission from her father Thomas. I know from her second marriage that he was a blacksmith. There's an Esther Hodges baptism at St Giles Cripplegate in 1801 the father's occ. is Smith. Harriott (their spelling) however is baptised as daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Hodge which I thought was probably just a slip of the pen but I'm not so sure now. However, Thomas' occ is a Farrier (which I think is the same as Blacksmith?)
                    By using Family Search I've "found" several other children with Thomas and Elizabeth as parents but there is an eleven year gap between Harriott and Esther unless the two boys Thomas and William baptised in St Leonard's Shoreditch in 1797 and 1799 are also "mine"! (the St Leonard baptisms don't give a fathers occ.)
                    As I said above I've found a Thomas Hodge/Elizabeth marriage (Harriott?) and the Thomas Hodges/Elizabeth marriage (at a different Church) that started this thread.
                    And then of course there's the conundrum of whether the Thomas Hodges in 1841 ( a Smith!) is mine!
                    Sue

Comment

dont know about a challenge... lol miracle is morelike..lol.

"My 3x gt grandmother was Esther Hodges. She married William Matthews in 1818 under licence as a minor, with permission from her father Thomas. I know from her second marriage that he was a blacksmith. There's an Esther Hodges baptism at St Giles Cripplegate in 1801 the father's occ. is Smith. Harriott (their spelling) however is baptised as daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Hodge which I thought was probably just a slip of the pen but I'm not so sure now. However, Thomas' occ is a Farrier (which I think is the same as Blacksmith?)"

I'd say that, this is right, b/smith/farrier etc being one and the same.

I have a Harriet/Harriett/Harriot so wouldnt worry too much about the spelling.

the gap in the years bothers me, I'm in the middle of cooking dinner at the mo, but will have a ponder in abit...

unless someone else can throw in a suggestion :smilee:, but I'll have a look in a bit
                      Julie

Comment

ok daft q.. what yr was harriet born/bapt and where please..

s'alright I'm not reading what is there!! duh!
                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 06-10-09, 20:17.
                        Julie

Comment

I cannot find a baptism at all.. sorry.. I'm either not looking where I should be or have missed/lost the plot totally...lol
                          Julie

Comment

It's too early for the indexed records Julie - it means trawling through the registers which is really asking too much of you:emb:! However, here is Harriott's baptism, she's the last one on 23 January 1791
                            - Ancestry.co.uk

and here is Esther's. Halfway down left hand page, 12 July 1801
                            - Ancestry.co.uk

I realise that this is far too time confusing for you to attempt so I shan't be at all offended when you give up, Julie:Big Grin: Thanks for your interest.

I'll have to see if can find another brain teaser for you lol:tong:
                            Sue

Comment

sorry I didnt realise that they werent indexed..

I have not had much dealings with the LMA records :emb:

But interesting that Harriot was Harriot Elizabeth, did she use her middle name alot? was it used on the marriage cert ?

just curious.... and it makes you wonder like you said before about 'other' children... I know you said Esther, but there was a couple of sons too?
                              Julie

Comment

Working...
                              X