Chelmsford Prison help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chelmsford Prison help please

Hi, one of my ancestors was in Chelmsford Prison on the 1891 census. I know there is something called SEAX (essex records). I have found the records I want but can't view them and I know I have viewed some records on there before. Does anyone know how I can see it online?
    Thanks
    Tessie

Not all the records catalogued have images yet. You can tell by whether or not there's an image-icon.

If there is an icon and you can't view anything then I'm not certain of a solution.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Tessie
      Have you checked the criminal registers on Ancestry for details of why he was in prison in 1891?
      Moggie

Comment

Hi - have you looked in the Old Bailey site - that goes up until 1910...
        Search - Home - Central Criminal Court

Comment

Hi Christine, I thought I had looked at some before I had found this ancestor, so maybe that is why I can't see that particular one! Moggie and Naomiatt thanks I hadn't thought about those two!
          Thanks again
          Tessie

Comment

The SEAX system wasn't displaying images yesterday night, perhaps it's the same today.

This is the way I use to find the Assize records, prison calendars, etc. Go to SEAX.
            Seax - Search Seax
            In the Document Reference search box top right type> Q/SMc. You'll then have listed all the Calendars of Prisoners for Essex Quarter Sessions and Essex Assizes they have in their collection. Where images are available an icon is displayed.
            Phil
            historyhouse.co.uk
            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks for the link Phil. I had no idea these records were on line and have found some of my family.
              Jenny

Comment

Jenny, pleased to see it's been helpful. It's a great resource.
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk
                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Working...
                X