TWO Marriages! Help needed please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWO Marriages! Help needed please!

Alfred William Conyers (27) and Adelaide Augusta Tallentire (21) married in MAY 1907 at WOOLWICH Registry Office. They were both stationed at the Red Barracks, Ordnance College, Woolwich.

In DECEMBER 1908 Alfred William Conyers (28) and Adelaide Augusta Tallentire (23) described as "Bachelor"and "Spinster" (but they had married the year before!) were MARRIED AGAIN at DARTFORD Registry Office. They were then both living in Welling at this time.

I have copies of both certificates from the GRO. I am completely confused by this. How can the same people marry each other twice in consecutive years? Has anyone else come across this?

Thanks - Pat

do the fathers match & everything? perhaps the first wasn't legal for some reason
    Jess

Comment

Two marriages

The fathers on both certificates were identical!

Pat

Comment

I seem to remember something like this has cropped up before and the answer was that they might not have had Army permission to get married.

Anne

Comment

Two Marriages.

Thank you Anne. I must say that I didn't know it was necessary to get Army permission. Was that usual?

Pat

Comment

I didn't say any more because ... I don't know:emb: I was hoping someone with more knowledge than me would come to the rescure. I'm sure I remember it being said that if you were serving in the Army you needed their permission to marry.

Anne

Comment

Thats right Anne, it was my William Brown/Ann Larkins mallarky...

i'll see if I can find the thread :smilee:
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

The Army commanding officer's permission is the answer you have on GR too
                Jess

Comment

right, if you click on the link below and read onwards from post (#13) you will see.

Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

My OH's Gx3-g-parents were married in Nov 1811 by Licence, and Sep 1812 by Banns - in the same church by the same clergyman.

In that case we have presumed that there was some problem with the original ceremony or the Licence.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

You still need permission today to marry if you are in the Armed Forces.

OC

Comment

two marriages

Thank you so much everyone. I have clicked on the link suggested and it certainly seems this situation wasn't unusual - just new to me! It's good to clear it up.

Kind regards -Pat :o

Comment

Working...
                        X