Rivrgill ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivrgill ?

I'm trying to find out where "Rivrgill" New Farm House in Sutherland Scotland would have been. The Registration district was Kirkton and the parish Farr.
    I can't find any trace of it and was wondering whether it might have been Ribigill, as on WDYTYA with David Mitchell. One of OH's gguncles was a House Carpenter there in 1861.

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Hi - have you tried a local museum or historical society. Also, there might be something in the Edinburgh Gazette, or the London Gazette...we were looking a while ago about a 17th century property, and lots of info came up.
    Edinburgh Gazette Home Page
    Saying that, does sound like Ribigill would fit.

Comment

is it possible you have the name of a house or property?

Comment

Possibly Rifa-gil/Rifa-gil Loch which are noted as features on the Scotland Gazetteer for the area or Rhefail/Rhifail which which are both settlements.

A description of the parish can be found on the link below;

Historical perspective for Parish of Farr
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I've found a listing of accounts for the Sutherland estate, and in it there is mentioned Farm Offices in Rivigill, Strathnaver (1858 - 1871) which covers the 1861 census. This is near Rhifail, in the parish of Farr, so is likely to be where he was. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction Glen.

Linda
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
          X