what surname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what surname

Was it traditional for children in 1800's to take the surname of their mothers husband. I have a Charlotte Warren in 1851, housekeeper to Thomas Johnson, unmarried with 2 sons, John and Henry Warren. in December 1851 they have a daughter Martha Ann and they marry in 1852. In 1861 Thomas is with wife Hannah, and children Henry and Martha Ann, (Henry is listed as son), plus some others,one of whom I think is Hannahs brought to the marriage, but also called Johnson.

However, I can find no trace of a matching Henry Johnson after 1861 and wonder whether he could have reverted to Warren.

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Do you know for definate that she was unmarried ? if there were children born in her maiden name? Warren could possibly be a married name and her husband died, therefore Thomas taking on the children? as well as having martha when they married.

My gt gran had my grandma out of wedlock, but gave her the surname of the father as a middle name, they did marry and then my gran dropped her surname and used her middle name as her surname (if that makes sense)
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

On Martha Ann's birth certificate (3/11/1851) it lists her mother as Charlotte johnson, formerly Warren. On the 1851 census. Charlotte is listed as unmarried, but has 2 sons. According to BMD Thomas Johnson married Charlotte Warren, September Quarter 1852.
      Thomas and Hannah had a child in 1862, and I am waiting for her birth cert. to get Hannahs maiden name, then hopefully work out when Hannah and Thomas married. That should hopefully let me find out whether Hannah had previous children in another name.

There are two possible deaths for Charlotte Johnson, so if I can determine when Thomas and Hannah married that might help me to choose the correct death.

Linda
      Linda

Comment

I have certainly seen cases where children adopt the stepfather's surname until adulthood. Then they marry using their own surname.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I can see it's going to be a long night on Ancestry then!! Thanks

Linda
          Linda

Comment

the father 'might' be named on any baptism records (if they were baptised of course)
            Julie

Comment

you could also try looking under Jonson.. or try War***
              Julie

Comment

Interestingly, on checking BMD for the district where Henry was born, Belper, there are no Warrens listed but there are two Henry Johnsons in the time period. However there is a John Warren, John being Henrys elder brother on the 1851 census, for the right time and place, but of course a number of John Johnsons - I can see a lot of certificate checking going on.

Linda
                Linda

Comment

have you tried looking here?

WIRKSWORTH Parish Records 1600-1900, Portal
                  Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie, went and had a look, but unfortunately doesn't cover the area mine lived in. Will remember it in case I find someone else in Derby.

Linda
                    Linda

Comment

oh well..

was worth a look
                      Julie

Comment

I have a gt gt grandfather who married 3 times. 2nd wife had 2 illegitimate children. They are always listed on the census with gt grandfather's surname (but then the enumerator would just have asked for children's names and assumed they all had same surname, i guess). The daughter married under her mother's maiden name, the son under his stepfather's surname. So I don't think there are any hard and fast rules.

What is on a census isn't necessarily what people called themselves.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                        X