Ancestry shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry shock

I didn't think my Ancestry was due for renewal for ages but I have just had an e-mail to say that that my Ancestry.com.au membership will be automatically renewed on 24 October 2009. No mention of price or anything.
    I was thinking of trying to decide whether to have it again or move over to 'Find my Past'.

Does anyone know if there are any special deals around at the moment or can tell me what I would lose if I moved to FMP please? I'm really confused about what to do as I can only afford one and I need to get that at the lowest price possible. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

If you go onto the FMP site, you can see what material they have, even though you may not be able to gain access.

Ancestry is more complete on census materials - tho' FMP is catching up. FMP has its own transcriptions, some of which (inevitably) don't have the same errors as Ancestry. Some of its images are better quality. FMP will have a degree of subscription access to 1911 from an imminent date, but they have been very open that the sub won't be worthwhile if you don't have many names for which to search.

If you have many London names, then you'll lose out on all teh new LMA stuff that's just appeared - so you'll need to "harvest" all you can before your Ancestry sub runs out... but that would be true, anyway.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks again Christine. I don't have access to the new LMA records anyway as I'm on a basic package. I did think about the 1911, which would be useful, but I'm not a great one for change and I am used to Ancestry even with all it's faults :Big Grin:

Sorry to be a pain but, how do I find out what the Australian site will charge me this year before they take it automatically?

Comment

You could probably phone and ask. I think there's a local number somewhere. Or there's an e-address for contact, too.

You might also consider cancelling. I know it sounds odd, but Ancestry hasn't wised up to the idea of loyalty bonuses. FMP gives an automatic 20% discount to renewals. Ancestry will come up with decent deals, but only under duress: a waste of their time and ours, I'd have thought!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Chrissie I got one as well but mines not due till next year check in my account part and see what says in there
          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Hi Chrissie
            I have just looked and my sub is due to be renewed in 2 days time & I can't decide whether or not to renew. I haven't had an e mail from them so I hope they don't take the money without contacting me first. Can they do that?
            They certainly don't make it easy to find out the subscription prices. I know
            that this won't help you as you subscribe to the au site but this is a link to uk prices.
            Moggie

Answer!

Comment

If you buy Ancestry through Quidco there's 25% cashback.

Elaine
              Looking for: Bassick/Beswick in Lancashire, Wolverhampton, Durham - Bradshaw & Drage in Bozeat & London - Rainbow, Strange, Maginess, Northcote, Thompson, Bartlett & Wheeler in London - Harrington, Gusterson & Sach in Essex

Comment

Moggie - I strongly suggest that you contact them about your sub, even if you haven't heard from them. You may well find that you've given them the right to collect automatically unless you tell them not to.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                  Moggie - I strongly suggest that you contact them about your sub, even if you haven't heard from them. You may well find that you've given them the right to collect automatically unless you tell them not to.

Christine
                  Hi
                  I've just looked at my account details & the expiry date for my card is 08/2009 so they won't be able to take any money without contacting me.
                  Moggie

Comment

Thank you for all your suggestions. Off to have a look in my account now :smilee:

Comment

For anyone interested in Ancestry prices -

I have managed to work out the current price from Ancestry Australia for the upgrade to UK Heritage Plus Package, which covers the new records i.e. 'Get all the great content from the UK Heritage package, plus access 400 years of London history from the vaults of the London Metropolitan Archives'. At the moment it is 215.40 Australian Dollars which converts to £116.81.

Having fathomed out the price for the basic package yet though :conf:

Comment

The posts seem to have disappeared ???

Comment

I can see them Trina :conf:

Comment

If you get tesco vouchers you can get ftm 2009 in club deals and included in it is 6 months free ancestry
                            Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

Comment

Must have been a glitch on my computer - they are all back now

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                                Hi
                                I've just looked at my account details & the expiry date for my card is 08/2009 so they won't be able to take any money without contacting me.
                                Moggie
                                This is not true. When you subscribed to Ancestry, you agreed to continuous card authority which means they can access your account whether the card is valid or not - unless you no longer have the account.
                                Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                  For anyone interested in Ancestry prices -

I have managed to work out the current price from Ancestry Australia for the upgrade to UK Heritage Plus Package, which covers the new records i.e. 'Get all the great content from the UK Heritage package, plus access 400 years of London history from the vaults of the London Metropolitan Archives'. At the moment it is 215.40 Australian Dollars which converts to £116.81.

Having fathomed out the price for the basic package yet though :conf:

I upgraded my Ancestry a couple of weeks ago and I was quoted £107.40. I also got a refund of my original sub of £49.00.

Looks as if the Australian one is more!!!:conf:
                                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post

Looks as if the Australian one is more!!!:conf:

About £10 more than the current co.uk price when looking at the LMA inclusive packages on the two sites. No great half price deals on offer this time round!!!!

The price difference on the basic packages is even greater AU $179.40, as near as makes no odds equivalent to £100, compared to the UK package at £83.40.

As for the discount offer for lapsed members, i'm still waiting and it's been close to a two years since my sub lapsed, glad i wasn't holding my breath.
                                    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 06-10-09, 22:27.
                                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post
                                      This is not true. When you subscribed to Ancestry, you agreed to continuous card authority which means they can access your account whether the card is valid or not - unless you no longer have the account.
                                      Hi Orangeblossom
                                      Wow I didn't know that. Anyway, I have just cancelled my sub so await further developements.
                                      Moggie

Comment

My Ancestry sub ran out in July and I'm waiting to see if they offer another discounted deal on the Aussie site but I might be waiting in vain.
                                        Taking into account the current value of the Aussie dollar - AU$1.00 is about 55 pence their current price of AU$179. 40 is not attractive as 83.40GBP converts to AU$149.08

Comment

Working...
                                        X