Navy Records help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy Records help please?

I have been asked by a friend if it's possible to find out about her father Navy Record. He was born in August 1901 and, towards the end of the war, because he didn't want to be called up for the army he volunteered for the navy. Does anyone know how old they had to be to join up please as he would only be 17 in 1918 when the war finished :conf: He stayed in the navy for 14 years and went all over the world. She wants to know if there is anything on line or anywhere she could contact to give her more information about his service record. She doesn't know his navy number but he has 3 Christian names and his surname isn't terribly common. He would have joined up somewhere near Widmerpool in Nottinghamshire because he only had a bike :smilee:
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Have you tried [a] looking in the Wiki or [b] using the thread search? I only ask because I'm pretty sure that this info is available on the forum already.

If you still can't find it - and if no-one else comes up with actual info - I think I have something on my home computer which may be of use.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you for replying Christine. No, I haven't looked in the Wiki yet, I usually get lost in there but I will go and have a search :emb:

Comment

Found it thank you :emb: Sorry, I should look before I ask :emb:

Comment

Chrissie

I have recently (this week) downloaded someone's Naval record, which was on TNA documents online.

He had a very common name and I needed help finding it, but it is the correct one. Unfortunately from my point of view, it is VERY disappointing. (I was hoping for next of kin).

He joined as a boy sailor aged 14 in 1915 and when he was 18, signed up for 12 years.

OC

Comment

Sometimes it is quicker to post here to find out if someone reckons something is on the Wiki: it helps in deciding how much time to spend looking.

As I type, I find myself wondering whether we haven't been putting in enough "tags" so that people will find things even where a likely search term (including common mis-spellings) doesn't appear in the text of the page.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Ohhhhhh thank you OC - off to google the site now :smilee:

Yes Christine I have found that myself. I often type in a search word and it says nothing found. I did finally find the address for queries but it's great to hear from OC that they are on line :smilee:

Comment

The main online source is Documents Online:
                The National Archives | DocumentsOnline

But that's not fully comprehensive and more recent records may not be there.

This link searches Docs ONline plus other archives: The National Archives Quick Search

Christine

Comment

WOW - I just want to say a big thank you to you both. I have found his record and my friend is going to download it :smilee::smilee:

Comment

I'm so glad you've found what you were after. And thank you for letting us know... positive feedback is always encouraging.

Christine

Comment

Blimey, what a miracle I can help anyone with anything on TNA site!!!

I HATE that site. I never seem able to home my search in properly and end up very frustrated and cross.

OC

Comment

Working...
                      X