RUTTER of Waltham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RUTTER of Waltham

I am trying to find the birthplace of a Thomas RUTTER who in 1822 appeared in The Old Bailey charged with stealing The offence is alleged to have taken place in Flying Horse Yard which I think is in London. He was convicted and deported to Sydney, New South Wales. Documents recording his age move his birth year between 1795 and 1801 however his place of birth remains constant as Waltham. Although there are places named Walthamstow etc. I have been unable to locate the place Waltham. Can anyone help please?

Jim
    Queensland

Hi Jim - there is a place called Waltham Cross...also Waltham Abbey and Waltham Forest.
    Waltham Forest is on the border of the East End of London and Essex.
    Flying Horse Yard is in the East End of London...so could be the right place.
    Waltham Forest was in Essex although that part was considered to be part of the East End when Essex was known as 'London over the border'. It was also classed as East London.
    Do you have any other clues at all?
    Naomi - also in Qld ; -)
    Last edited by naomiatt; 05-10-09, 03:09.

Comment

Jim

I don't think I can help.....but was Thomas any relation to Beatrice May Rutter born 1879, St George NSW??

Also don't forget Great Waltham in Essex...

Comment

Hi Libby - and Little Waltham in Essex! ; -) Also Jim, do you have any documents showing that Thomas's father was also called Thomas? There's some earlier ones in the Old Bailey site.

Comment

RUTTER of Waltham

Naomi
          There is a note on either his marriage or death certificate giving his fathers name as Thomas. How accurate it is I don't know. Have you anything to add and what made you ask that question?

Jim
          Redcliffe
          Qld

Comment

Libby and Naomi,
            Thanks for the advice and I will try to follow up.
            Libby, I don't have a record of Beatrice but that may be because I have tended with some exceptions to follow a more direct line to myself. Do you have details on Beatrice's parents. There was another family of RUTTERs in the Hunter Valley at the same time arriving about 1850??? Are you connected to the Family?

Comment

Originally posted by jrandgc View Post
              Naomi
              There is a note on either his marriage or death certificate giving his fathers name as Thomas. How accurate it is I don't know. Have you anything to add and what made you ask that question?

Jim
              Redcliffe
              Qld
              Hi Jim - There are Thomas's in the Old Bailey site who are most likely a generation older....might be a relation to your Thomas, father perhaps.
              Naomi
              (used to live in Redcliffe)

Comment

Hi Jim-There is Waltham in the North East of England, near Grimsby.
                Jill

Comment

Also Waltham St Lawrence in Berkshire
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia
                  Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Jim......

Beatrice Mary Rutter born 1879 St George.
                    Her father was Frederick William born 1844 Sydney
                    Fred's father was John Y Rutter. I think the Y may have been Yates as one of the children has Yates for a second name.
                    No idea where or when he was born, but his father was Thomas according to the index.

Beatrice married into the Ariel family (poor thing..lol) and I haven't done a lot on her.

Comment

Just remembered - There's a Bishops Waltham in Hampshire - a bit inland, between Southampton and Portsmouth.

But Waltham Forest/Cross/Abbey seem more likely, in the context of the rest of the info.

Christine
                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 10-10-09, 14:17.
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

...and husband's gggrandmother was born in Up Waltham in Sussex (she actually calls it Waltham in the Census)

Comment

Jim - do you have marriage details for Thomas - or anything that names his parents?
                          That might lead back to the area of his birth.

Comment

Good morning,
                            Thanks to ALL for the replies and advice....Libby, unfortunately I am unable to help with a connection to your Frederick RUTTER.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                            X