Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone want to guess the name of this witness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone want to guess the name of this witness?

- Ancestry.co.uk

15 Oct 1821
    St Giles Cripplegate
    William Olmsted Marsden & Amelia Sellers

I can read J. Barlow, 2nd witness is Matilda ????

I think this is Amelia's sister with a different surname from the one I was expecting, but I can't even work out the initial letter.

Any ideas appreciated!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Blinky heck, Nell, are you a secret recruiter for Ancestry?!

I clicked your link and was smartly shown to a page offering me an upgrade, lol.

OC

Comment

it looks like

'Oltms' to me.. not that it helps any.. sorry
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

How about OULTON?

Christine

PS - I don't think her maiden name is SELLERS. The register has been entered as SALLERS - but that's hardly a reliable source (as I've seen elsewhere). She seems to have signed something more like SILLARS.
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 04-10-09, 20:27.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I was going to suggest OULTON or DUFTON.

Maiden name of bride definitely seems to be SALLERS. I think that's what she signed. It does look like an i but you can see the curve of an a faintly. She's made a right old mess of it!!

Anne
          Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 05-10-09, 11:47.

Comment

Could be Dilton? It probably never occurred to her that, over 180 years later, people would be peering at it, trying to make out what she'd written!
            Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll see if I can make sense of any of them.

Amelia and Matilda (if its the same one) Sellers/Sallars/Sellars were sisters. They had another sister called Eve and one called Sarah Matilda (yes!).

Amelia Sellers married William Marsden.
              Matilda Sellers married William's brother Lewis Marsden.
              Eve Sellers married Charles Ehn
              Sarah Matilda married Charles' brother Henry Ehn.

So far so simple. But then Eve Sellers Ehn died (imagine being called Eve Ehn!) and William Marsden died, so Amelia Sellers Marsden married Charles Ehn. I think they were close as they'd both witnessed Matilda and Lewis' marriage when they were married to their first spouses.

Talk about keeping it in the family!!!

So you can see why I am interested in a Matilda who was married to someone else.
              Last edited by Little Nell; 02-05-10, 15:55.

Comment

Bumping to see if anyone has any further ideas.

Comment

Might be worth posting up a crop of the name, Nell, as I'm another one who gets the upgrade page... :D

Comment

If you compare the two signatures, although some of the letter formations differ, I think the 'Matildas' are quite similar & both surnames look like they start with 'O' so if one is SELLARS so could the other be!!!
                    Glen

Comment

Could it be Oughton(s)? Is it Matilda or is it Stephen wth the ph of Stephen on top of each other?

Janet
                      Last edited by Janet; 03-05-10, 10:11.

Comment

Thanks for your further contributions, people. Off to see where they get me!

Comment

Oulton???

Comment

Working...
                          X