How can I find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I find

out who was living at an address in Merrill St, Boston Mass. USA in 1930's (I think).

I have a easter card from an Aunt Sarah but no idea if she's really a relative or not.

Don't know anything about USA census and whether they're available that late.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Ancestry have the 1930 US census, but I don't think you can search by address.
    Jay

Comment

Thanks - just wish I knew what her name was -

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

does the surname Donnelly mean anything to you?
        WendyP

Comment

Maybe find the nearest library in the US and see if they have email and send a request?
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Vaguely Wendy

Some years ago when I first started I researching and I vaguely remember coming across an irish name which may have been Donnelly I don't recall but I wasn't able to find a connection.

Trouble is the card was sent to my Uncle when he was working in London and I don't know when he first worked there - apparently there had been some terrible storms?!!!! news of which had got to the US.

The address on the card was 28 Merrill St, Boston 25, Mass.

Comment

I was asking as I did a Google search of the address without house number to it and I came across a hit from someone asking for help to find the exact address but this gave the name of Robert Donneley but did say his mum couldv'e been Sarah.

would this post be yours heres the link:-

NETinTouch Noticeboard

you'll have to use Edit find or just scroll down to read the message especially if its not one of your posts.
              WendyP

Comment

Yes it is - though I haven't a clue where I got Robert Donnelly from - just goes to prove you should keep notes on what you've done. Ah just remembered we had a photo of a small boy called Robert Donnelly who for some reason thought he might be Aunt Sarah's son.

I haven't found any Donnelly's but have several Sarah's who I haven't got any further info on. It may not even be a relative either just a courtesy name.
                Last edited by JBee; 04-10-09, 17:33.

Comment

HI

Well I can say I have found a Robert Donnelly son of Henry and Sarah Donnelly. This Robert though was born in 1894 in Boston, MA and parents were born in Ireland. None of the census though were they at Merrill Street.

You say the envelope and it contents went to an Unlce of yours are youable to divulge any more info incase it helps track aunt Sarah?
                  WendyP

Comment

Unfortunately all I have is a photocopy of the card which had the address of the sender written on it - so no envelope so no clue as to what address it was sent to or the date.

I remember now that the photo which I no longer have had the name Robert Donnelly on the back and he looked about 1 - 2 years old. The colour of the photo and the clothes at first suggested 1920's but by working out when Uncle was born (1917) and his likelihood of being in London its more likely to be during the 1930's. During the war he was in the Army and a POW for several years.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                      Maybe find the nearest library in the US and see if they have email and send a request?
                      Hi - Little Nell is right - the Boston Library have an Ask a Question e mail -
                      BPL - Questions and Suggestions Also, I'm not sure, but I think you can check voters lists...
                      There is also this NEHGS - Online Genealogist

Comment

Thank you.

Will have a look at both and see if I can get anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                        X