Would someone with access to Canadian census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would someone with access to Canadian census

I have Norman Dixon born 1885 in either Manchester or Helsby who died 18 9 1957 in Winnipeg, Manitoba...
    I can see on Ancestry a Norman Dixon on the 1916 Census for Manitoba but I have no access...
    Would someone let me know the details including his wifes name etc. if he was married

Have you looked at the pre-1916 censuses which are accessible online?

e.g. http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/index.jsp

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I found a Norman DIXON in 1911, but he was only 2 - the son of John & Lizzie DIXON 30 and 23, Lizzie being the sister of Sam CHAPPELL, the Head of the household.
      (1911 Census of Canada
      Home / 1911 / Manitoba / Winnipeg / 72 Winnipeg / page 32)

Other than that, I couldn't spot anything - but I don't have your incentive to hunt!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Christine,
        I was not aware of that site but have been having a look.... I can not find him on 1911 but will search more places.....I did find a couple but not the right one.. I can see now that the one on Ancestry may be anyone.. no year of birth shown

Comment

Hi Colin - Not sure if you have the death cert? Manitoba Vital Records - How to Obtain Records of Birth Death Marriage and Divorce in Manitoba Canada MB CA
          That might tell next of kin.

Comment

Hi Colin,

1916 Canada Census - Winnipeg, Manitoba

26 Pine Street
            Norman Dixon, age 30, married, Repair Man, b. England, yr of immigration 1910
            Emily Dixon, age 33, wife, b. England, yr of immigration 1914
            William T. Dixon, age 1, son, b. Manitoba

I haven't found a marriage record for Norman and Emily in the Manitoba Vital Stats. I did from 1910 to 1916. I will do a further search on ancestry.ca tonight and see if they married in another province.

bcbrit
            George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Thank you Naomatt and bcbrit,

Looks like the right man... The family had 8 children and when the youngest William Thomas was 17 years old they adopted Norman who emigrated to Canada when he was 25

Comment

The Canadian National Library and Archives Service has online images for incoming passenger lists, but the indexing extends only to identifying the ship and the crossing date, not the passenger names. If you had nothing else to do, I guess you could trawl through all the images, but Dixon isn't a rare name - only the "Norman" first name makes it more rare.

Until you know Emily's maiden name, you can't begin to hunt for her arrival record.

Christine

Comment

Hi Colin.

I couldn't find anything re: a marriage for Norman in ancestry.ca, but did find these.

Canadian Passenger Lists

Norman Dixon.b.abt 1885, England, possibly a joiner and possibly going to Manitoba.
                  Arrived Quebec 25th September 1910 on the ship Lake Champlain.
                  The original was very difficult to read as it was very faded.

UK Incoming Passenger Lists

Norman Dixon, 28 yrs, joiner, Perm. Residence Canada
                  3rd Class - from New York to Liverpool
                  December 1913 on the ship Caronia

Free BMD
                  Norman Dixon and Emily Burd
                  March Q 1914 Ch. Stretton, Shropshire 6a - 817

UK Incoming Lists

Norman Dixon, 68yrs, retired
                  Tourist class - from Halifax to Liverpool
                  April 1853 on ship Ascania
                  Perm. Res - Canada
                  Going to 33 Primrose Hill, Port Sunlight, Ches.

Norman Dixon b. 18 Feb 1885 retired, single ( this includes divorced and widowed )
                  Tourist class - from Montreal to Liverpool
                  November 1955 on the Empress of France
                  Perm Res - Canada
                  Going to 270 Chester Road, Helsby, Ches.

Hope this helps,

bcbrit
                  George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

So this record is of N Dixon going into Quebec Canada age 25

left Liverpool on 12/9/1910 on the Lake Chaplain

Occ fitter

which fits with found info of the 1916 census
                    WendyP

Comment

I think that may be this set (http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...index-e.html):
                      Ship: LAKE CHAMPLAIN
                      Shipping Line: Canadian Pacific Railway Co.
                      Departure Port and Date (yyyy/mm/dd): Belfast, Ireland - [1910-09], Liverpool, England - 1910-09-15
                      Port and Date of Arrival: Montreal, Que. - [1910-09], Quebec, Que. - 1910-09-25
                      Reference: RG 76
                      Microfilm: T-4772

If you just put in "Lake*" for the ship name, "liverpool" for the departure port, and "1910" for the arrival port, you get a list of hits that includes this.

Christine

Comment

Thanks for the information....
                        bcbrit that is him born 18 2 1885 ( he is also listed in the Family Search Cheshire Schools mentioned in a recent thread ) and he did visit his home town of Helsby in later years..
                        Wendy and Christine ..yes that is him.
                        Thanks very much for you help.. I will now search as suggested
                        Cheers
                        Colin

Comment

Working...
                        X