Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you spot a baptism for Alexander HOOPER ca 1788-9

... please let me know.

I can't see on in the transcribed set yet.

I reckon he slots into the family of that Bank of England Clerk I was enthusing about (or enthusing about the archivist who found the records, anyway!).

As far as I can tell - and this is largely speculation (that seems to work):

Alexander HOOPER b 1755-6
    m1 24 Jun 1781 St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey to Sarah POOLE (he was of the parish of St George the Martyr, Southwark)
    1. George b 14 May 1782 bap 16 Mar 1783 St Mary Magdalene, Bermondsey
    2. Elizabeth bap 5 Jun 1785 St. Andrew Holborn, d of Alexander & Sarah
    3. Sarah bap 1 Apr 1787 St. Andrew Holborn, d of Alexander & Sarah
    4. ???? HOOPER, Alexander b 1788-9 (based on bur 27 Jul 1832, age 43, St Mary, Lambeth; Hoxton House)
    5. Abraham bap ... 1790 (See WendyP's post at #2, below)

?burial Sarah HOOPER ??? 21 Sep 1823 age 67 St George-in-the-East

m2 22 Sep 1823 St James, Paddington to Sarah THORPE
    1. Samuel Titus b 6 Nov 1813 bap 16 Jul 1815 Old Ch, St Pancras
    2. Sarah Thorpe b 14 Nov 1814 bap 5 Jul 1815 Old Ch, St Pancras bur 30 Jul 1815 age 8mo
    3. Sarah Thorpe b 7 Nov 1815 bap 6 Dec 1816 Old Ch, St Pancras
    4. Alexander Thorpe bap 6 Dec 1816 Old Ch, St Pancras
    5. Alexander Thorpe bap 27 Aug 1820 Old Ch, St Pancras
    6. son illegible (IGI=Wm) b 26 Apr 1820 bap 24 May 1820 Old Ch, St Pancras
    7. Henry b 12 Nov 1821 bap 5 Dec 1821 Old Ch, St Pancras

So far there is nothing to contradict my impression that Alexander had a family with Sarah née POOLE, and then left her for Mrs Sarah THORPE, with whom he had a family, and married her (by Licence) as soon as Sarah 1 had died. (The expression indecent haste springs to mind!) The children were all baptised with HOOPER as a surname.

I'm not expecting anyone to trawl the images on my behalf. I'm doing the research for a friend, and it certainly doesn't warrant anyone losing lots of time over it. I only mention it because Alexander's a fairly uncommon name, as is HOOPER, so you might notice/remember and let me know about it if you do. I've already looked at the relevant images for St. Andrew Holborn. Since I couldn't see him there, he could be anywhere! When I looked at the list of City Churches, I balked!

And if, by some miracle, you spot the earlier Alexander's baptism ca 1755-6... well I'd definitely like to know about that, too, of course.

Christine
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Names in this tree: HOOPER, HALDON, BRANCH, MAYLESTON (& variants), AGER, SIGERS (& variants)
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 03-10-09, 14:01.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Found a Baptism for an Abraham Hooper 1790 with parents Alexander and Sarah Poole

Can't as you say see one for an Alexander - yet.
    Last edited by WendyP; 03-10-09, 07:28.
    WendyP

Comment

Have you tried looking for Cooper, Hopper etc?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by WendyP View Post
        Found a Baptism for an Abraham Hooper 1790 with parents Alexander and Sarah Poole

Can't as you say see one for an Alexander - yet.
        I didn't have that one! That helps to bridge the gap. Thank you! :D

PS - Where and when was it?!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
          Have you tried looking for Cooper, Hopper etc?
          I will own up that I haven't tried those variants, yet. I've tried just the parents' names, though... I think *goes off to experiment*

... of course, the indexed baptisms don't start until 1813...

"Ernest HOPKER" in Ancestry is the one I describe as "illegible", above.

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 03-10-09, 14:06.

Comment

Hi Christine

Long time I Know but I am following in your steps. How did you get on?

Tony

Comment

Welcome to FTF, Tony! And thank you for picking up on this puzzle.

I was helping a friend with her tree, and the process tended to stall when I dropped my Ancestry sub. (Economics dictated that I should have only one major sub, and I can get sight of the library edition for free at my local library.) I have revived the sub, recently, and your message reminds me of another tree about which I could do some research, now that so much more info is available.

Should I infer that you and yours figure in this tree?

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine

It is one of my wife's families back in the 1860s. I think that you were quite correct regarding the marriages of Alexander snr but I haven't been able to trace the christening or birth of Alexander jnr. This is surprising as Abraham wasn't actually christened but born in 1790 and confirmed in 1805 probably into the presbyterian or unilatarian church. If your friend is still interested, I am quite happy to swap information with them. Have you come across the Poole or Beck family?

Regards Tony

Comment

Hello Tony

I'll contact my friend and see if she'd like me to share info: I've been doing a chunk of the work on her part of the tree - tho' she has some cousins who are looking at another part.

POOLE I have seen as the maiden name of Sarah, the first wife of Alexander HOOPER (1755-1827?). I don't think that seen the name BECK in the tree, so far.

My friend is descended from Samuel Titus HOOPER, probably the eldest child of the second marriage of Alexander HOOPER, to Sarah THORPE (tho' they weren't actually married until some years after he was born... probably the day after Sarah POOLE's death!

Have you picked up all the entries for Alexander that appear in the London Gazette as he moved up through the Bank of England? The archivist of the Bank of England was very helpful, and I have an image of Alexander's entries in the register, showing his salary increases, and changes of appointment status.

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine

Don't know about the London Gazette but I also found the Bank of England archivist very helpful and she gave me details of his career at the Bank. She also said there was an article about Alexander in the Bank of England magazine and that there was a portrait of him at the Bank. My wife is descended from Abraham Hooper.

Tony

Comment

I often follow branch-lines, but hadn't followed up on Abraham - not least because I hadn't been absolutely certain that he belonged. ... time for a bit of a play, methinks!

Christine

Comment

Descendant of Alexander Hooper

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                        ... please let me know.

I can't see on in the transcribed set yet.

I reckon he slots into the family of that Bank of England Clerk I was enthusing about (or enthusing about the archivist who found the records, anyway!).

As far as I can tell - and this is largely speculation (that seems to work):

Alexander HOOPER b 1755-6
                        m1 24 Jun 1781 St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey to Sarah POOLE (he was of the parish of St George the Martyr, Southwark)
                        1. George b 14 May 1782 bap 16 Mar 1783 St Mary Magdalene, Bermondsey
                        2. Elizabeth bap 5 Jun 1785 St. Andrew Holborn, d of Alexander & Sarah
                        3. Sarah bap 1 Apr 1787 St. Andrew Holborn, d of Alexander & Sarah
                        4. ???? HOOPER, Alexander b 1788-9 (based on bur 27 Jul 1832, age 43, St Mary, Lambeth; Hoxton House)
                        5. Abraham bap ... 1790 (See WendyP's post at #2, below)

?burial Sarah HOOPER ??? 21 Sep 1823 age 67 St George-in-the-East

m2 22 Sep 1823 St James, Paddington to Sarah THORPE
                        1. Samuel Titus b 6 Nov 1813 bap 16 Jul 1815 Old Ch, St Pancras
                        2. Sarah Thorpe b 14 Nov 1814 bap 5 Jul 1815 Old Ch, St Pancras bur 30 Jul 1815 age 8mo
                        3. Sarah Thorpe b 7 Nov 1815 bap 6 Dec 1816 Old Ch, St Pancras
                        4. Alexander Thorpe bap 6 Dec 1816 Old Ch, St Pancras
                        5. Alexander Thorpe bap 27 Aug 1820 Old Ch, St Pancras
                        6. son illegible (IGI=Wm) b 26 Apr 1820 bap 24 May 1820 Old Ch, St Pancras
                        7. Henry b 12 Nov 1821 bap 5 Dec 1821 Old Ch, St Pancras

So far there is nothing to contradict my impression that Alexander had a family with Sarah née POOLE, and then left her for Mrs Sarah THORPE, with whom he had a family, and married her (by Licence) as soon as Sarah 1 had died. (The expression indecent haste springs to mind!) The children were all baptised with HOOPER as a surname.

I'm not expecting anyone to trawl the images on my behalf. I'm doing the research for a friend, and it certainly doesn't warrant anyone losing lots of time over it. I only mention it because Alexander's a fairly uncommon name, as is HOOPER, so you might notice/remember and let me know about it if you do. I've already looked at the relevant images for St. Andrew Holborn. Since I couldn't see him there, he could be anywhere! When I looked at the list of City Churches, I balked!

And if, by some miracle, you spot the earlier Alexander's baptism ca 1755-6... well I'd definitely like to know about that, too, of course.

Christine
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Names in this tree: HOOPER, HALDON, BRANCH, MAYLESTON (& variants), AGER, SIGERS (& variants)
                        Hi Christine

It's been a while since you posted on the topic of Alexander Hooper so I'm hoping that you still have the information at hand. My interest in him comes from the fact that he is either my 3rd great grandfather or my 4th great grandfather on my mother's side. The confusion about whether he is a 3rd or a 4th great grandfather comes from the family tree document I am working from contradicting some information I have found on the internet.

Do you still have access to your research on him and would you be willing to provide me with the information you derived from your research?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
                        Alan

Comment

Hello Alan

Welcome to FTF. One of my moderator colleagues sent me a PM to make sure that I didn't miss this!

Many thanks for your message - I'm away on holiday at the moment. Normally, that would mean that I wouldn't have the research to hand for another couple of weeks, but - by good fortune - on our way back, we're staying at friends' B&B in central France, and Alexander HOOPER is in the wife's tree. For that reason, I do have some of the material with me. A quick check shows that I have my Excel spreadsheets, but not any of the images.

There's a baptism for Alexander HOOPER, and it's amongst the Westminster Archives records now available on FMP.
                          bap 31 Jul 1756 St Clement Danes. Alexander s/o Samuel & Sarah [W'minsterArchvsPRp54]

That ties in very well with the BoE Archives:
                          23 Mar 1780: age 24, elected Clerk to BoE at £50 [BoE-SalaryLedger]

Then there's a couple of marriages in teh LMA records available on Ancestry. (If you don't have a sub, most UK libraries seem to have access to the Library Edition of Ancestry, if you visit a branch and book a computer. Just make sure you've done your initial searching for free at home, so as not to use up valuable time at the library.)
                          m1 24 Jun 1781 St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey (Bach.otP St Geo Martyr, Southwark)
                          Witn: Joseph POOLE, Elizabeth POOLE [LMA - PRp93#364]

Sarah HOOPER: bur ???21 Sep 1823 age 67 St George-in-the-East [PRp152#1212]

m2 22 Sep 1823 St James, Paddington, WotP. Sarah THORPE, WotP of St Pancras, Licence,
                          Witn: ?Jehu ?Lawler & Sarah ?Chapman [PR]

I reckoned that these fitted together because the address(es) given for the children's baptisms pointed to Alexander & Sarah née POOLE having split up, and there were several children who appear to have been born of the second match, with Sarah née THORPE, rather before the official date of the marriage! Bank of England records give the continuity. ... And I seem to recall that there's supposed to be a portrait of Alexander at the Bank of England. There are certainly lots of refs to Alexander in the London Gazette (archives freely available online with OCR search), showing the progression of his authority for signing the bank notes.

My friend is descended through the line of Samuel Titus HOOPER, 1813-1896 (almost certainly s/o Sarah née THORPE!), who turns out not to have observed the BoE rules during his abruptly terminated time as an employee there! I'd be interested to know where your line fits in.

Must go to breakfast now, before the hotel time-limit ends!

If you'd like to be in direct contact, please PM me with an external e-address.

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine,
                            I have just seen your exchange with Alan. According to IGI Samuel Hooper (b abt 1708) married Sarah Carrick (b abt 1710) in St Martins on 7/8/1727 and there are two children mentioned, Samuel (b 1728) and Samuel (b 1730) both in St Martins. A Samuel Hooper from St Clements Danes married Sarah Fallows (b 1734 Richmond) on 4/10/1755 in Richmond Surrey which fits in nicely. There is also a Sarah born in 1770 in St Annes Soho but I'm not sure about her.
                            Did you know this? What do you think?
                            Regards
                            Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Murphy View Post
                              Hi Christine,
                              I have just seen your exchange with Alan. According to IGI Samuel Hooper (b abt 1708) married Sarah Carrick (b abt 1710) in St Martins on 7/8/1727 and there are two children mentioned, Samuel (b 1728) and Samuel (b 1730) both in St Martins. A Samuel Hooper from St Clements Danes married Sarah Fallows (b 1734 Richmond) on 4/10/1755 in Richmond Surrey which fits in nicely. There is also a Sarah born in 1770 in St Annes Soho but I'm not sure about her.
                              Did you know this? What do you think?
                              Regards
                              Tony
                              This had eluded me - possibly because I only picked up some of the info while I was away on holiday, and other things got prioritised after we got back.

Thank you very much: I shall have to see how I can slot it into my existing info - it certainly looks promising. As it's late, I think I won't try to do anything now - too much risk of doing something daft!

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine,

You said you thought he had something to do with a bank clerk?

I found an article whilst looking for one of my lot. It is in the Morning chronicle dated the 15th June 1801. It is about the cashiers being able to sign off on notes at the bank of England, one of the names is a Alexander Hopper!
                                KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
                                  Hi Christine,

You said you thought he had something to do with a bank clerk?

I found an article whilst looking for one of my lot. It is in the Morning chronicle dated the 15th June 1801. It is about the cashiers being able to sign off on notes at the bank of England, one of the names is a Alexander Hopper!
                                  Thank you, yes. He was a Cashier at the Bank of England. I believe that there's a portrait of him there - but probably not of his son, Samuel Titus HOOPER, who also worked there, but left under something of a cloud! Alexander shows up in the newspapers and in the London Gazette as he gets more senior. The BoE Archivist was kind enough to email me some images of the staff records for the two men.

Christine

Comment

Oh wow, that is brilliant. Putting a face to a name must be great. I have far too few pictures of anyone I have been looking into to, such a shame.......
                                    KAREN xx

Comment

Working...
                                    X