Cambridge Collection Look-ups offered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: Cambridge Collection Look-ups offered

The Central Library in Cambridge houses the Cambridge Collection, containing a wealth of material including books, maps, newspapers, electoral rolls & some parish records for Cambridge & the surrounding villages.

I go into central Cambridge regularly & am willing to do some look ups, (just please remember this is not the Cambridge Archive Office). There are transcripts of most of the parish registers, so if you have a family from a particular village or area of Cambridge I can check these fairly easily.

This tells you about it

Cambridgeshire Collection

Please bear in mind that none of my ancestors came from the area, the only research I've done locally was about a WW1 soldier buried in our local church yard, but I'm quite willing to have a go. The newspapers section is quite good, & useful if you have, say, a death date.

I hope this helps you if you're stuck, or just want extra info about an ancestor from Cambridge.

I'm getting quite good at looking at the copies of the parish records on fiche...so if you want to save money on a cert. & you've got the year & church , I'll have a go at finding it.

It's probably worth messaging me, as I don't always look at this board.
    Last edited by Meridian Line; 25-03-12, 07:43.
    ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Hi Louise

If I may take you up on your very kind offer.

I am looking for a newspaper report of a sudden death/possible inquest.

Richard Ely died 26 August 1874 Horseheath, reported by the coroner on the 27 August 1874.

I know there wasn't a report in the 'Cambridge Chronicle' but am wondering if the 'Cambridge Independent Press' 1815 - 1981 has anything.

Many thanks
    Chris
    Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

OK Chris I've noted it & will have a look, probably next week.
      ~ Louise ~

Comment

Chris,
        so far I've checked the editions dated 29th Aug, 5th & 12th Sept 1874, but there isn't anything. There was a report of an inquest on 29th Aug at Linton into the death of a young boy, so it seems likely they won't report the Robert Ely death, but I will look at a few more editions.

There seemed to be a newspaper covering Saffron Walden area, but they didn't have the dates you needed, I wonder if Collingdale would have copies?

Its always fascinating reading old newspapers....did you know they were starting work on the Channel Tunnel in 1874?
        ~ Louise ~

Comment

Chris, sorry no luck, tried up until the end of September, & had another look at the earlier editions, but I couldn't find any references to it.
          Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.
          ~ Louise ~

Comment

Louise

Thank you so much for taking all that trouble in looking for the newspaper report.

It seems to be par for the course, with my lot that have had an inquest into their deaths, that the circumstances were so 'boring' that even local papers weren't intrested in reporting them.

Thank you again for trying so hard.

Chris
            Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Can you have a look and see if there are any details of a LIVERMORE family living in Newmarket Road?
              Thomas Livermore was born around 1862. Just looking to see if there's any details of who his father could have been! His mother was Mary Ann Livermore. She later married Mr Green. But this was quite a few years after Thomas and his sister Emma were born.
              Ta
              Lisa

Comment

OK, Lisa, I'll take the details & have a look next time I visit. Do you have Mary Ann Livermore's parents etc , or should I make a note of them if I find any references?
                ~ Louise ~

Comment

Lisa,
                  I've pm'd you with results of search so far.
                  ~ Louise ~

Comment

Hi Louise,

Are you still doing look-ups? Do you happen to know which PRs are included in the Cambridge Collection? They don't seem to be listed on the website. I'm mainly interested in March, Wisbech and Newton-in-the-Isle. I have exact baptism dates from the index on the CFHS website, but it says there's "more information than usual" in the PRs about the entries I'm interested in.

Mary
                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 09-01-12, 21:14.

Comment

Hi Mary,
                      I've pm'd you the results.

Louise
                      ~ Louise ~

Comment

Brilliant, thanks very much.

Mary

Comment

Claridge Baptism in Cambridge in 1915

Hi Louise,

If you're still doing look-ups I am trying to trace a baptism in Cambridge from 1915. My family appear to have done a lot of moving around as my great-grandfather was part of a fair (we believe he may have worked on the engines there). He did not marry my great-grandmother and so my grandmother's birth certificate only gives her mother's name. As my great-grandfather died in about 1929 we have no records of him and only a few recollections from my grandmother.

I am hoping that my grandmother - Alice May CLARIDGE - may have been baptised in Cambridge. She was born at 1 Occupation Road, Cambridge on 17th May 1915. As she wasn't registered until the end of June I hope she may have been baptised in the area. As Occupation Road was in the parish of St Andrew the Less I was hoping you might check the baptism records for St Andrew the Less from 17th May 1915 for a short period afterwards.

I am hoping that there may be some other information given, as I have recently come across a few baptism entries that give extra details, even when the parents weren't married.

There is no rush and thanks in advance if this is possible.

Steve Hardicre

Comment

Hi Steve,
                            I'll make a note of the details & have a look. I've been on holiday, so only just picked up your msg.
                            regards,
                            ~ Louise ~

Comment

Hi Steve,
                              I checked the surname index for St Andrew the Less, but there was no Claridge listed, for any date for baptism/marriage or death. Sorry to have been unsuccessful,
                              regards,
                              ~ Louise ~

Comment

A huge thank you. If you ever go again could you check the surname 'Collier' as this was her father's name and she used it on all her certificates as her maiden name, despite her birth certificate being registered as 'Claridge'. If this is unsuccessful I shall assume she was baptised elsewhere (her father was apparently involved in the fairgrounds so this is very possible), or not baptised at all.

Thanks again,

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,
                                  no luck with the Collier name, I'm afraid. The only baptism around that time was in 1916 for a Rose Ruth to a Charles & Annie (he was a bricklayer).
                                  ~ Louise ~

Comment

Cambridge Look-up

A huge thank you for looking for me. I really appreciate it as there is no opportunity for me to get down there any time soon.

Regards,

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                    X