Desperate!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate!!!!!!!!!!

When i turned the computer on this morning I gt a message saying it couldn't start because some .dll file was missing or corrupt.

I ran F10 for recovery and it fixed that (I think). Anyway, I've got it back. Had to update Windows (XP) and re-install my anti-virus and internet (wireless).

Now...I've lost all my favourites list ....not a big problem.
    But also lost all my read emails and my email address book. It is in Outlook Express.

Is there anyway of getting them back??

And........

Is there anything else I should be checking or doing???

Thanks.

Libby, you're not having a happy time with computers lately.:F

There is a free cleaning program that I use, recommended by a friend who is a member of a local computer users ' group, which is a very effective cleaner. It's from Iobit and is called Advanced System Care. It's similar to C Cleaner but I prefer it and I can control things manually if I wish. I've been using it for about 9 months with no problems and it works well beside my Nortons IS. ASC identifies all sorts of useless and junk files, spyware, hijacking threats, has a good defragger etc. I run a manual scan once a week or i could set it to do automatic scans & cleans.

If you google it you'll find it has very good reviews and is very easy to use. It is also regularly updated.

IObit - Free Computer Scan, Security, Clean, Repair, Optimization, and Protection

Don't know about getting your address book back but did you check your recycle bin or run a Search from the Start up panel?

Good luck!

Comment

Can you also access your emails on the server's website? Mine download into Outlook Express (which is what I prefer to use) but also leave a copy on the server's site until I go and delete them.

Anne

Comment

turn your computer back a week and see if it is ok.it cant harm your computer.have you defragged?you could do a scan your computer from the start button and see if it finds anything brenda xxx

Comment

Did you re-install XP or just apply updates?

Comment

Um. If you think you've lost or accidentally deleted some files than defragging is pretty much the worst thing you can do because there's a very good chance that the deleted files will be overwritten. Even installing software (such as Handy Recovery) to try and retrieve those files runs the risk of overwriting the files you're trying to recover. :(

Martin

Comment

Thanks for all the replies....

I can't find the old emails............I use Outlook Express and they are not there anywhere that I can see. Neither is my address book.

I also had a completely empty "My documents" and "My pictures" I nearly keeled over.

OH rand the techy guy and he came a got them back out of DOS???? There were hundreds of new photos including all my daughter's wedding photos. All my family tree files were missing,etc.

I actualy came back to a computer with only Windows XP installed, nothing else.

I had to re-install my virus scanner, family tree program, internet, etc......everything.

Then i had to update because the computer had gone back to when it was bought, about three years ago...........lol

Brenda...........how do you turn the computer back??????Would that work when I've had to re-install???

John............I think I re-installed Windows......at least I clicked F10 and it did what it called a PC Recovery. I know when it finshed it was just the original Windows XP, no service packs, etc.

Kate.........I'll try that program.

Now does anyone know how to get rid of SuperAntiSpyware???

I only put it on the other night (before this problem and I have had it before). It's not showing up in my programs on the "add/remove programs" section, or in the list of programs on the "start" menu. It still has it's little icon on the bottom right of the screen and pops up every so often. I cannot find any uninstall bit.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X