Genes Reunited Export

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genes Reunited Export

I've been trying to localise my tree onto my computer and have exported from GR as a gedcom file, however, this is a typical entry

0 @66969350@ INDI
    1 NAME Robert /Turley/
    1 SEX M
    1 BIRT
    2 DATE 1814
    2 PLAC Rolvenden, Kent
    1 OCCU
    2 PLAC Farmer
    1 NOTE Farmed 270 Acres of land and employing 8 Men and 3 Boys

In family tree maker, I was wondering why the occupations weren't showing up, now it looks like it's the GR ged file. Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

Cheers

Mr Threepwood
    Hail Spode!

That looks like an old Family Tree Maker file which always recorded the occupation in the place field.

Try Nodesoft - Search And Replace

Just remember to make sure it only does the one GEDCOM file (it was designed to do whole directories and simply replace

1 OCCU
    2 PLAC

with

1 OCCU

As always with any jobs like this MAKE A SAFE copy first and do an file validate if FTM has such a thing.
    Jane
    Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

As you say it's the GR GED causing the transfer problems, the GR software works with the older GED format and it's a "tags" and "fields" issue.

You can edit the file as jtaubman suggests, further information and a link to the list of tags used by FTM in default GED5.5 format can be found in the wiki, GEDCOM Troubleshooter - Family Tree Forum
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Excellent, thanks. Is the occu field the only difference between the two GED formats?
        Hail Spode!

Comment

Originally posted by guybrush View Post
          Excellent, thanks. Is the occu field the only difference between the two GED formats?
          Not sure if it's the only difference but to expand on recording the occupation in the place field. The occupation is a fact i can record on 2005 but i have to put the actual "job title" in the field for place/description. That explains why this text version of the file shows the occupaton recorded as place.

0 @I623@ INDI
          1 NAME Joshua Page /Goulson/
          1 SEX M
          1 BIRT
          2 DATE 1749
          2 PLAC Great Ponton, Lincolnshire
          1 DEAT
          2 DATE MAR 1795
          2 PLAC Heckington, Lincolnshire
          1 BAPM
          2 DATE 7 MAY 1749
          2 PLAC Great Ponton, Lincs
          2 SOUR @S01705@
          1 OCCU
          2 PLAC Apothecary
          1 REFN 623
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Ah right. I think I'm set now. I feel a bit stupid for contacting GR about it now though. Although I felt more stupid earlier when I waved my parents off and my elderly neighbour started waving back at me.
            Hail Spode!

Comment

Working...
            X