Childrens mission home - liverpool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childrens mission home - liverpool

In the 1911 UK Census, there is a listing for children plus a Matron in what looks like 85 Trinity St or Rd, Upper Torting or Jorting???
    Does anyone know what this could be? It was a 10 room house and 6 males and three three females were living there. The Matron was Eleanor Bennett aged 26 from Ipswich I think - not easy to read! The 'inmates' were Millicent (aged 15) and Lewis (aged 11) Kresner from Russia, Cecil (aged 6) and
    Robert (aged 5)
    Doubnikoff from Liverpool, Hyman (aged 5) and Eliza (aged 4) Moslan ?? from
    Mile End, Hyman (aged 6) and Meyer (aged 4) Berkovitch from Russia and
    Ellen (aged 16) Shortan ?, a servant, from Edmonton. The children all appear to be Jewish.
    I'm also looking for Cecil and Robert Doubnikoff and what happened to them.
    Their parents were Isaac and Bertha nee Heilbronn who married in Liverpool,1902. Cecil was born April, 1904, in 85 Ann Street and Robert was born October, 1905 in 79 Soho Street.
    Other than their births on FreeBMD, I can't see anymore about them.
    Thanks for any hints!
    Last edited by naomiatt; 02-10-09, 00:13.

Hiya Naomiatt...
    Isaac Doubnikoff married Bertha Heilbronn in 1902 at Liverpool Register office.
    It may help to find out where they were in 1901 census.
    There is a site called Généalogie : recherchez vos ancêtres, publiez votre généalogie, consultez l'état-civil ... - GeneaNet which is worldwide.Just put in name and place and you may find a match.Be back soon if I get any other info....allan:Wink:
    OK ,Hundreds of Heilbronn worldwide on Geneanet...only ONE Doubnikoff in France from 1910...so it`s a slight possibility they`re yours...Zilch on freebmd for deaths for Doubnikoff except
    "infant" aged 0 Islington 1903.....allan
    Just checked CWGC and Isaac is not named....so that`s good news
    Last edited by garstonite; 02-10-09, 06:58.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thanks Allan -on that site someone is asking in French about a Simon Doubnikoff who married in Fulham, 1910. I did notice that an Elsie Doubnikoff - mother was Heilbron - was born in Marylebone, 1915. Elsie went on to marry James E Williams in Willesden, 1945Isaac might have been a Louis Isaac Doubnikoff who naturalised in 1938 and was living in Loughborough. A Louis Doubnikoff changed his surname to Lewis in 1941, and was living in Willesden - so he became Louis Lewis. Has a good ring to it!

Comment

Naomi

There is a Trinity Road in Upper Tooting, South West London. Could this be it?

Friends of my parents lived in Trinity Road in the 1950s & 1960s and I remember their house as being large with a basement/cellar. Probably at least 10 rooms.
        Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 02-10-09, 07:26.
        My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Hi Sue - Yes, I wondered if I had the right location. As far as I know, it was Liverpool, but I will check it out again. The page from the census was sent to me and it's not that easy to read as you can probably tell from my post! ; -)

Comment

Have you seen this post on BG Forums? (I presume its not yours)

Children's Mission Home, Upper Tooting - B-G Forums sponsored by Parish Chest Ltd.

The record you're referring to is in Tooting. On 1911 Cecil and Robert are transcribed with the surname Doubaikoff and are in Wandsworth, London
            Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie - No, I hadn't seen it, and it's not me. I'm in touch with a Doubnikoff in France who has limited English, so I've been helping her with the UK side of things.
              I'll forward that site to her. At least it confirms it's Tooting and not Liverpool!
              She did mention the property was owned by a priest so it sort of ties up in that way.
              Thanks!

Comment

Hi. I've now clarified that Cecil and Robert Doubnikoff went to Paris, and the location was Upper Tooting. What is not clear is who are Manuel Doubnikoff, birth reg Sep 1909, Marylebone, and Elsie Doubnikoff, birth reg March 1915, mother Heilbron, also in Marylebone. Seems likely that Elsie is a daughter of Isaac and Bertha...but she is not known of and nor is Manuel...or maybe Isaac had a brother or cousin with the same surname who also married a Heillbron? OR...is Isaac also known as Louis...in the 1911 census, Louis and Bertha Donbrickoff are living with their 1 yr old son, Manuel, in Marylebone...so why were Cecil and Robert in Tooting...
                Elsie married James E Williams, June quarter reg, 1945, Willesden. I'm not sure if they had children.
                Does anyone mind having a look for me?
                Another mystery is Alexander Doubninkoff...he passed away in June, 1952, as per the
                London Gazette. Address was 17 Stanhope Terrace, London, W2. Notice of claims were to be given to J M Menasse & Co Solicitors, in Bishopsgate, and Dr Lev Borisovitch Zeitline. Date for the claim was September, 1953.
                Any ideas welcome! ; -)
                Thanks
                Last edited by naomiatt; 04-10-09, 05:16.

Comment

To update - I've now found that a Louis Doubnikoff went to Vancouver, Canada, in 1939. The plot thickens! ; -)

Comment

Working...
                  X