This Must Be A Record - Unless You Know Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Must Be A Record - Unless You Know Better

Further to my earlier post about my findings on the 1911 census today, I have found that my 2 x Gt Grandparents were married for 53 years and had 21, yes 21 children. Just 7 were still living, so, by 1911 they had outlived 14 of their children.

I'm going to have a bit of a job trying to find the ones that were born and died between censuses.

WOW! At what age did your 2 x Gt Grandmother turn into a baby manufacturing machine? I've never come across 21 children before, it's 9 children more than in my largest family and I thought mine was plenty enough. :Big Grin:

Maybe she took some extras on from somewhere else.

Comment

I wonder if there might have been one or more sets of twins? She must have been a strong and healthy woman to have produced so many and lived so long, but what sadness she must have experienced.

Comment

My greatgrandparents had 22 children.This included triplets.I have been able to find most of them.
        Fran

Comment

My gg grandparents had 16 children. All the first ones lived to adulthood but later the little ones all died young. It was as if mum was running out of energy/nutrients or something. However the mum herself lived to be 78 so she must have been pretty healthy!

Anne

Comment

Good heavens, and I thought my great-grandma did well with 13 (10 of whom survived infancy).

Comment

I'm encoraged to get her death certificate now. I am expecting to see cause of death as "Worn Out".

Comment

Doesn't surprise me my maternal great grandmother had 16 children and only 6 survided to adult hood. My maternal grandmother had 11 and 10 that survived to adulthood her second daughter died at 18 months of diptheria.

But when I was a child I queried the amount of children she had saying it was such a lot and she said 'oh there was a few more than that but they died when they were born and they weren't recorded but I remember them'! :( and she outlived 3 of her adult children!

Edit to say: The reason for saying this is that I have never found my maternal great grandmother's dead children in any birth index or baptisms and they were recorded on the 1911 census. I have a feeling that they/she said they had 16 children because she did but 10 of them died when born and weren't recorded or baptised.
                Last edited by Guest; 02-10-09, 19:01.

Comment

My Grandparents had 13 children, all survived...x

Researching/ MADGWICK, RAMUS, PONT, MITCHELL, CHAMPION, GOSSLING, VAN STAADEN.

Comment

My 3xgt grandparents were married for 59 years and had 17 children - 14 living to adulthood, only 2 dying in infancy and one aged 6.

On a different side of the family 2xgt grandparents had 18 children but only 11 alive at anyone time. I'm afraid that this family appears to be very disfunctional and unhappy - one son arrived in NY only 5 weeks after his mother died. He was aged 18. He was totally ignored in his father's will (as was another daughter) to the extent that his father says " to my only son I leave XXX and to my 5 daughters..." he had 6 daughters and 2 sons living at the time of his death. Another son was drowned at sea aged 17 having joined the ship in Melbourne Australia, gone to Chile and then to Holland - the ship floundered in the North sea approaching the Dutch coast. What age must've he've been going out to Oz on his own? Unfortunately I can't find his outward passage.
                    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Working...
                    X