Can anyone read this please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone read this please?

I had a wonderful session today at the LDS Family History Centre. We have just got free use of the 1911 census. Since starting my research, one side of my family has been on hold because every census just had "Ireland" in the section for place born.

At last I have two entries that now show "County Cork". The entry also has something else written in this section in a different ink - possibly pencil. Can anyone make out what the extra words are? I am hoping that the place has been written in as the instructions on the form indicates that Town as well as County should be entered.

Thanks for giving it a go.

PS

Having uploaded my first attachment, it looks very small. I'll try and do another that might be easier to read.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Elderflower; 02-10-09, 00:23. Reason: Added a PS

Here is another image. Hope it's a bit bigger.
    Attached Files

Comment

Could it be Kingsale, ...although I thought that was spelt Kinsale?

Comment

Not sure of that Gwen. The first entry seems to have two words. I am unfamiliar with place names in Cork. Perhaps there is a list of these somewhere out there.

Comment

You can get a list of townlands or parishes on this site: IreAtlas Townland Search Form
          If you just put in Cork in the first search box and leave the rest blank, it will bring up a list of townlands in Cork. One of the townlands in the list is Kingsland but I don't think that's what is written on your image. Kinsale is a civil parish and barony in Cork.
          Last edited by Cloggie; 02-10-09, 10:30.
          Sarah

Comment

I wonder if it could be Kinsalabeg, Youghal, which is in Cork...

Comment

I should mention that these additional entries were probably inserted by the enumerator. Bearing in mind that this was in Cardiff and the enumerator probably did not know the correct spelling, it could be Kinsale. I have several census returns where people coming from outside the local area have had all sorts of spellings for the places where they were born.

I did find a list of Cork place name earlier today. Do you think Barryscourt could be one of the names in the forst entry? I will go away and look at the site suggested by Sarah too.

Comment

Working...
              X