Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know where to start!!

Hi everyone
    Joined a couple of months ago and just have no idea of where to start looking for anything/anyone. It would appear I have the following names in my tree: Sandys, Sands, Sanders,Edmund, Temple, Loveluck and Barker (hubby's side). There is a Welsh connection here. On my side I have Johnstone, Brown (!!), Clegg and that is as far as I can go. My grandfather (dad's side) was born in Scotland (Johnstone) and my grandmother (dad's side) was born in Germany (Bayer/Beyer from Leverkeusen near Cologne/Koln). My mum was Kathleen Mary Brown (her parents were Clegg and she was from Keighley area in Yorkshire).
    Many thanks for anything anyone can help with.
    Anne

You start with what you know and work back towards what you don't. So you start with yourself, your parents, grandparents and then backwards, using certs and parish records till you get to 1911 and further back, when you can use census records.

Use the link below and scroll down to Starting out on your research section.

The Wiki - Family Tree Forum's Reference Library - Family Tree Forum
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Welcome to the site!

If you're looking for Leverkusen info, then you might try these two sites:
      Leverkusen: Willkommen bei der Internet Initiative www.leverkusen.com
      www.leverkusen.de :: Herzlich Willkommen!

Otherwise, have you had a look at the link just above called "Starting Out on Your Research"?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Welcome to FTF Anne. :smilee:
        I wonder if your Bayers are related to Friedrich Bayer of the pharmaceutical company?
        See: Bayer - Friedrich Bayer and Bayer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        And there is also Bayer Leverkusen football club: Bayer 04 Leverkusen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        And some more about Leverkusen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which apparently wasn't founded as a city until 1930 through the merging Wiesdorf, Schlebusch, Steinbüchel and Rheindorf.
        Last edited by Cloggie; 01-10-09, 18:57.
        Sarah

Comment

For your Scottish branch, this is the place to look:

Genealogy Scottish family birth records census ancestry Scotland uk - ScotlandsPeople

Comment

Just a note of caution - check everything by getting certificates. - see if anyone in family has them.

Many have been caught out following the wrong trail by assuming they knew the few first rungs ie parents, grandparents - without realising there were discrepancies ie first marriages never mentioned, no marriages, bigamous marriages, even children believing someone was their father when birth certificate shows otherwise - half siblings etc which can turn your research upside down.

Even children born to parents when listed father had been away for over 2 years??!!!!

This all makes for a more interesting tree than your regulation normal.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Wise words JBee!

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

And if you get stuck just put up a post with as much detail as you can and some of the very helpful people here will try and help .

I have a great deal of success with my tree since joining FTF.

name,Birth year,where born,siblings,Parents etc.

Welcome and good luck.

Peter

Comment

Welcome to FTF.

Try doing just one branch of your tree at a time. When you get stuck, change to another branch for a while and return to the problem later. If you try doing them all at one you will get very muddled (been there!!!)

If you don't already have one it is a very good idea to get a tree program for you own computer and not rely on 'on-line' trees like GenesReunited and Ancestry. If they go bust you will lose everything!

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Stenning View Post
                    And if you get stuck just put up a post with as much detail as you can and some of the very helpful people here will try and help .

Peter
                    ditto

Comment

And, if you can get to the History Centre in Trinity Street Worcester

Worcestershire History Centre

the staff there are always very helpful at guiding newbies how to start searching and obtaining copies of certificates. They hold all the GRO Indexes on fiche, access to Ancestry and the IGI and parish records for Worcestershire County.
                      You don't have to make an appointment but it's a good idea too as it can get busy by late morning. There's over 30 film/fiche readers and 19 internet access computers, you do need to book one of those in advance if you think you might want to use one while there.
                      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Wow, thanks everyone, you have just proved to my cousins lovely wife that I told the truth when I said what a lovely bunch you are!:smilee:

You've made a start Anne, now keep it up, welcome again.:Big Grin:
                        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Working...
                        X