Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Bick help needed

Hi,

I am asking for more help on the Bicks, this time its for an older generation.

What I'd like to know is when precisely Elizabeth Bicks first husband died. With a name like George Caesar Vernon Hopkinson, you'd think I'd find it no problem at all lol. Elizabeth remarried in 1864 in Chelsea, London and she is down as a widow, she married first time round in 1850 in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. Elizabeth was born in 1831, Aldgate, Gloucester, I don't know where hubby number one came from.

Might be an idea to look them up and see if they are on the 1851 and 1861 censuses, but I don't know if they left Gloucestershire as a couple, or Elizabeth left a grief striken widow. Any help would be gratefully received, as even if I find them on the census, not many clues are forthcoming on George C V Hopkinson's death.

I have found out that assuming I have got the right person that George was born in Gloucestershire in about 1817. Elizabeth's age is also approximately right in the 1851 census, but I haven't been able to find an entry in 1861, does this mean Elizabeth was widowed really young?

I have found Elizabeth as a boarder with her daughter in a house also occupied by Charles Smith, his mother and sister not sure if this is the same man she later marries but if it isn't, it would be a coincidence!! At this point it says she is still married, I am unable to find her husband - where was he?
    Last edited by LorraineJ; 01-10-09, 17:24.

Comment

Because divorce was very expensive, you shouldn't rule out a separation until you find a confident death record for the first husband.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I put the name into the TNA QuickSearch and found this:

Register of deputations to gamekeepers Q/SO/12 (part) 1801 - 1819

These documents are held at Gloucestershire Archives

Contents:
        Q/SO/12
        Date Manor Lord of Manor Gamekeeper
        17 July Down Ampney in the County of Gloucester The Rt. Hon. Edward Craggs Lord Eliot, John Steel
        and Latton Eisey, the Leigh and Eastrop in Baron of Saint Germains in the County of
        the County of Wiltshire Cornwall
        [7 July 1801]
        29 Aug. Brewern otherwise Brawn in the parish George Caesar Hopkinson, Esq. Haward Vernon
        of Sandhurst
        (28 Aug. 1807)
        Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is a death for a George Hopkinson on FreeBMD

Jun qtr 1859 Gloucester (6a 147)
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Christine, being a bear of little brain, what does this extract tell us, though there can't be many George Caesar Hopkinson's can there? Presumably it tells us when he was born approximately, was he a gamekeeper or a poacher?

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
              There is a death for a George Hopkinson on FreeBMD

Jun qtr 1859 Gloucester (6a 147)
              The place certainly would fit my George, it could explain his absence in the 1861 census, but then do I assume that saying Elizabeth was married rather than widowed in 1861 is a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
                Christine, being a bear of little brain, what does this extract tell us, though there can't be many George Caesar Hopkinson's can there? Presumably it tells us when he was born approximately, was he a gamekeeper or a poacher?
                I'm not sure what it tells you - only that it might be worth looking up next time you go to the Gloucestershire Records Office... or maybe there's someone who might be able to go and have a look on your behalf (try the Wiki)... or you might be able to get a copy direct from them without spending an arm and a leg to get it

Christine

Comment

George Ed Caesar Vernon HOPKINSON

The above gentleman appears as parent to several children admitted to Weston on Trent school in Derbyshire in 1887, Lilian Grace, Geo Ed Richard and Marguerite. There last school was listed as Corby in Northampton shire. In April 1888 they left the village. Apart from the Ed. part of Mr HOPKINSONS name, is he the same, or at least a son.

mike

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
                  Hi,

I am asking for more help on the Bicks, this time its for an older generation.

What I'd like to know is when precisely Elizabeth Bicks first husband died. With a name like George Caesar Vernon Hopkinson, you'd think I'd find it no problem at all lol. Elizabeth remarried in 1864 in Chelsea, London and she is down as a widow, she married first time round in 1850 in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. Elizabeth was born in 1831, Aldgate, Gloucester, I don't know where hubby number one came from.

Might be an idea to look them up and see if they are on the 1851 and 1861 censuses, but I don't know if they left Gloucestershire as a couple, or Elizabeth left a grief striken widow. Any help would be gratefully received, as even if I find them on the census, not many clues are forthcoming on George C V Hopkinson's death.

Comment

News on George Caesar Vernon Hopkinson & Elizabeth Bick

George Caesar Vernon Hopkinson is my great-great-grandfather. His birth & baptism are recorded In Sandhurst Glos parish registers in Sept 1820/April 1821. He died, I believe as a remittance man, at St. Goar in the Prussian Rhineland 10 May 1863 (source: reports to British Foreign Office on miscellaneous foreign deaths & burial returns 1837-70)). He took out a passport soon after the death of his father, who was the George Hopkinson who died May 1859 @ Gloucester aged 82 & whose will made GCVH an allowance "until he shall be outlawed or declared a bankrupt or become insolvent"(!) . The George Caesar Hopkinson owning Brawn Farm at Sandhurst in 1807 is his grandfather, Lieut. Col of the 15th Dragoons, army agent & holder of Crown revenues from the Forest of Dean. The George Edward Caesar Vernon Hopkinson who was father to children at a school in Derbyshire in 1887 is GCV's eldest son born Gloucester 1851. His second son is the George Edward Richard Hopkinson at Weston School & is my Dad's father (1880-1970).
                    Are you aware that Elizabeth Bick/Hopkinson/Smith married again, this time to a farmer 16 years her junior - William Hawkins - registered at Cheltenham in the third quarter of 1875? They are in the 1881 & successive censuses but I have not pursued their careers further. David Hopkinson

Comment

Welcome to FTF, David.

Looking at their profiles, it seems LorraineJ hasn't been on FTF since August 2011, and mikedecc9 hasn't been here since Feb 2011. If you want to get in touch with them, it might be a good idea to send a PM, hoping that they have their preferences set to receive an email to alert them to any PMs they receive. On FTF, you can send a PM (personal message) by clicking on the name in left-hand box, and picking the envelope from the drop-down menu that appears.

I do hope that you manage to make contact. It would be so disappointing to have missed a possible lead!

good luck
                      Christine

Comment

Working...
                      X